• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Before you give up on crickets...

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@MassExodus
~rolls laughing~ HEY NOW! don't be callin my T's fat! They have a very strict regimen of exercise daily!
why ...just this morning Yeti stretched ALL her legs out on her rock :p
Seriously though, they aren't in the wild, they are pets so I'm not going to let them get hungry enough to have to eat something they don't really like,
I let Yeti go three weeks and she still refused a dubia, slaps hell out of it then runs and hides. Literally face in the corner, hides all huddled up.
Also, my family is spastic about having any roaches here, think that's a holdover to a house we rented in FLorida that was INFESTED, even after spending hundreds of dollars on exterminators we couldn't quite get rid of them.
I keep a small colony of mealworms for my little guys, and....I do hate crickets, but every one of them will gobble them up like they were starved.
(Yeti is my big G.porteri girl for those of you who don't know)

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can't give up on crickets......still finding them after I dropped a whole tub in my bedroom. One even made it into the bathroom light fitting......lol. Thinking of releasing the T's for a day to get rid

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Kymura It will need to be a wide lens.....not sure I would trust some of mine roaming around the house without supervision....lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Borrow a cat for a few hours, they love crickets :)
Would do but then they would probably leave even more deposits in my garden than thay do already! I know you love your cats @Enn49 but I am not feeling the love for the cats near me at the moment......lol

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Any idea of the type of ****roach this is? Went looking for a house to buy and this guy was hanging out in the garage.

Attachments

• DSC_0205.JPG
    DSC_0205.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 14

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That would be.....an "om nom nom" roach. That's what my Ts would call it anyway ☺

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Would do but then they would probably leave even more deposits in my garden than thay do already! I know you love your cats @Enn49 but I am not feeling the love for the cats near me at the moment......lol

I know you're not a lover of cats and mine don't go out so they don't leave deposits in neighbours gardens, but they are great for catching those rogue crickets..

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know you're not a lover of cats and mine don't go out so they don't leave deposits in neighbours gardens, but they are great for catching those rogue crickets..
I usually turn it into a game for the kids. Who ever catches the most gets a treat. Whoever loses has to eat them!..... just joking on the last bit :D (honest) Social Services never proved it anyway.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I usually turn it into a game for the kids. Who ever catches the most gets a treat. Whoever loses has to eat them!..... just joking on the last bit :D (honest) Social Services never proved it anyway.

They probably wouldn't harm them anyway. One of my kids school friends used to eat worms straight from the garden and he never suffered from it.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use silk worms for my Ts. There are no hard exos on them and the don't move fast. Less of a chance of losing one.
Silkworms are great, the two biggest issues with them is A)They're not all that cheap and B)They have to be fed mulberry leaves (or silkworm chow) exclusively, which in turn adds to the overall cost. I think they're one of the best feeders around, but they sadly aren't the most affordable to many.

Most if not all tarantulas would eat a roach if they absolutely had to, being opportunistic predators, but I don't think most people would really feel comfortable making their tarantulas wait such a long time to eat, just to get them to eat a particular food item. The best way to find out is simply through trial and error. I just thought I'd share this here , for anyone looking for a good alternative feeder.

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Chubbs, other then the food, how hard are they to keep and how long do they live, ie: if I bought a few are they going to die off or pupate before I can use them up?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Chubbs, other then the food, how hard are they to keep and how long do they live, ie: if I bought a few are they going to die off or pupate before I can use them up?
I'm guessing you mean silkworms? [emoji14] They're easy to care for (given that you have an adequate amount of food) and depending on how large they are when you acquire them, they can take a few weeks to a few months to pupate.

Latest posts