• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bad Molt.

BrandonR85

3 Year Member
My Rosea molted on Friday and his 2 front left and front right leg and his pedipalp's were stuck inside the old molt. I had to help him get separated and the outcome is not good. His front 2 left legs look like little black stems about half way down and his front right leg is not moving. I am really not sure what to do for him and any advice would be appreciated. This is his second molt attempt the first went really well. It makes me really sad to see him this way as he cant move around well at all.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How much mobility does it have? Are the fangs and chelicerae free?
Can you get a good shot of the pedipalps and front legs?
Tarantula are incredibly resilient creatures, and can pull through done pretty horrific events.

BrandonR85

3 Year Member
He can move a little but he only moves in small bursts...The fangs and chelicerae are free...He did lose a pedipalp in the molting process, but I now have him in Tarantula ICU. He has been balled up like this since the molt.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Was he a mature male?
If the fangs are free it will be able to eat. You will probably need to maim the prey so it can get hold of it.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, he was a mature male....Pretty sure he went thru a post ultimate.
That's what I was thinking. It is very rare that a male survives a post ultimate molt. But that is no reason to give up on him. Try crushing a roach or cricket and as water, make bug soup, and put it right under his fangs. See if he will try to eat.

Latest posts