• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Back water reptiles

MrBoom619

3 Year Member

Cmccracken

3 Year Member
yeah they suck! I ordered 3 emperor scorpions from them and they sent me Asian forest, needless to say the Asian forest killed all my emperors and then turned on each other before I figured out the mishap. Then on another occasion they sent me a male theraphosa apophysis when I requested a female... definitely DO NOT ORDER from them!!!

marya1962

3 Year Member
I didn't hear anything bad about them until I bought my Rosie from them. I never thought to read the review on them, duh. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed everything stays okay, like it seems to be for now. But I know now never to order anything from them. They have the worst rep, like RodentPro does.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have ordered from them twice. Once I bought an A.diversipes which arrived just fine and is still doing well. I also purchased a "female" A.metallica which molted into an MM 6 months later. I personally haven't had bad experiences with them, but I hear a lot of negative things about them, which I do believe. A tarantula of that size is pretty easy to sex if you know what to look for.

Dr Mengele

3 Year Member
I bought a Goliath pink foot from them and it did Arrive alive. She was underfed and her abdomen was very shrunken and almost shriveled
I ordered a large size and she is 2 inches max.All in all I would give them a 5 out of 10 score. I wont buy from this website again

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never seen a business with such bad reviews everywhere I look, Youtube, MANY different forums...even on google, lol..these people must be really terrible..I've read bad things for years about them. They're a middle man company, they don't even know what they're selling most of the time.

N8tive556

3 Year Member
I beg anyone, please, please, please, never order from Backwater. I have had at least 5 different friends make this mistake before I was able to talk them out of it... Unfortunately I feel the one detail that is always ignored, is that these are ALL living, breathing, creatures that are paying the ultimate price and every time I see the words Backwater Reptiles, I cringe... I understand that experiences vary, however I do honestly feel that this is an operation that should have its doors shut... We as keepers of these amazing creations, both invertebrate and vertebrate alike should be an advocate against what I consider, animal abuse, in the bargain bin online retail world... Granted Backwater are not the only offenders however they are shining example of how not to conduct business.... In closing I'll just say, if you care about your potential T... Visit a breeder. But always research and reach out before, you give some money hungry cash cow that cares more about the money than the animals they carelessly ship on a daily basis...

I'll get off my soap box now... I'm sorry, I'm just very defensive over my passion for keeping live animals...

TNT

3 Year Member
I am 2 years into the hobby and I have ordered from them only recently. I ordered a tortoise and several tarantulas. The tortoise had ripped halfway through it's bag and was caught with the bag around its "arms" and head. It was horribly cold. (No heat pack) My tarantulas were shipped in deli cups of dirt with no protection. One of them was stuck to what looked like a sponge. They, too, we're cold and coated with dirt. There were size discrepancies. I ordered two large male pinktoes and one large female pinktoe. The males were approximately two inches each...and one of them looks more female, and had taken off it's leg for what I can only assume was an injury. The large female was oddly "wooly" looking and when it finally relaxed enough to stretch out, was larger than my hand. I have no idea what particular kind of pinktoe she is. She is a she, though.

The two rosehair males I ordered are a fair size, and seemed to be just fine, despite the thick coating of dirt in their hair.

All of this was packed in the box, lined with the proper Styrofoam insulation, but there was no heat, and these dirt cups were just thrown in on top of that poor tortoise. No news paper, nothing. The tortoise has just been staring at the window and not eating. When the weather gets warmer I'm hoping a nice trip outside with our other tortoise will help her more.

The prices and variety are alluring, however these are living beings. I have a whole temp/humidity controlled room with a keyless entry lock, just for these sweeties and I love everyone of them. I have to tell you though, I did feel guilty for buying them after that.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Sorry to reiterate what has been already posted. Backwaterreptiles are "drop shippers", they buy from a source, have them ship to you and charge you retail prices and inflated shipping costs. They are in business to make money. For, it seems, every positive transaction is offset by a multitude of negative ones.
This is when research is needed, don't believe everything posted on a website. Check on public forums the "Vendors review" section, many of which being a member isn't required to access. Another, if in the U.S., is to check with the Better Business Bureau.
Not a business to deal with. IMO [emoji6]

Dr Mengele

3 Year Member
They are the worst and you might as well just donate your Money to a charity. I orderd a T from them and it lived 2 days. It came packed In container with dirt in it and its abdomen was shriveled . Pass it on, DONT GET TAKEN LIKE I DID

Ackerlight

3 Year Member
Adding my own experience for my first post. Ordered two Pandinus imperator (supposedly captive bred juveniles one male and one female) from them and a 1" B. smithi sling (supposedly female). They immediately marked the order as shipped and closed. Contacted them, asking them if they truly had Pandinus imperator and if that is what I was getting. No contact before shipping. They said "our supplier only has Asian Forest Scorpions so that is what was shipped." No contact about if I still wanted them or not. I did NOT since I already had Asian Forest Scorpions, but they replied about something about needing to receive them returned live, etc if I wanted any refund... I then sent them an email about the price difference and said I would rather keep them than have to pay $50 in overnight shipping for a return of a $20 pair of scorpions. They kind of kidded about it and offered me a $5 refund total (instead of the $20 refund I should have received for the price difference of the Emperor and AFS). They said if I had additional problems to let them know after I received the order. At this point I was getting pretty upset over the entire thing and their base dishonesty.

Order arrived finally. Two Asian Forest Scorpions and one 1/4" sling. Not the 1" sling I was promised. Scorpions were in low deli containers of dirt and I could tell pretty easily they were both male. Sling was at least packed in a folded piece of tissue - but tissue with sling was sliding loose inside a similar deli container. This thing was microscopic and I can't even tell if it was a B. smithi or not. The entire order and the sling smelled like it had been packed in tissue damped with ether? Not sure what that was about as it's a fine line between knocking an arachnid out with ether and euthanasia. Sling and scorpions were alive at least.

Overall, bad experience. Yes, they drop ship and you have no clue about what you are going to receive and they seem to have no clue about what is actually shipped. They are dishonest and do not bother to follow up on orders or substitutions. They are just an order broker. What they have on their website may or may not be what you will receive. In my case, product delivery and what as ordered did not match. Overall, not recommended.

Last edited:

Annie

3 Year Member
I had a great experience with them. Bought three snakes, an iguana, one sling, and a tortoise from them and I got exactly what I ordered and all of them were healthy. They were quick to respond to any and all questions/comments I had and I personally give them five stars. I feel bad for people who had bad experiences, but I can say I really like them and continue to order from them regularly. i also get my crickets and mice from them. *shrug*

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Anyone order tarantulas from them, I know they are bad for tortoises, not sure about tarantulas.
Not a reputable business. Do not xo4 business with them. Check their reviews in any forum, they all say the same thing...bad business, bad people.

Latest posts