• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Back in the T world

Redacted

3 Year Member
Hi, my name is Heather. I recently purchased a sub adult female rose hair. My sons named her Chewbacca. :cool:

I kept a rose hair about 9 years ago. She was one of my animals used for educational purposes. I did birthday parties and group events with exotic animals. Once I started having kids I stopped my business and rehomed most of my animals, including my T.
Now that my boys are older, I felt they would enjoy having a T.
Mama's happy to have one again, too!

We've had her a week. I bought her private party from a guy who has a large collection. She's very calm and easy to handle. A perfect fit for us.
Hasn't eaten yet but I expected that.

View attachment 21742
**tonight we switched her substrate to coco coir and ditched the wood chips.

View attachment 21743
We had fun watching her on the big screen!
Perhaps I'm wrong, but that looks like a Grammostola 'North', an as yet undescribed species found 10degrees north of the common rosehair, G. porteri.

Team Gomberg

3 Year Member
Hmm. I have no clue what she is other than being called a rose hair.

She was brought over from Florida. That's about all I know.

Here is a better photo for a proper ID, I hope.
20170111_195012.jpg

And I caught her grooming. It was amazing to watch. This is a screen shot of her fangs, fun!
Screenshot_20170109-221146.png

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
I always refer to my rose hair as G. porteri because a few years back after I got her they reclassified the normal Rosie's as porteri and the red ones as rosea is that still going on?

Also I keep my adult female G porteri in a five gallon glass tank half full of the coco fiber bedding, bone dry, screen top. I overflow the water dish on the opposite side where her hide is and sometimes she will sit there other times she will stay in her dry zone. Mine has got to be pretty old because I've had her for about 7.5 years and got her from somebody who I believe bad her for 3-5 years and got her as an adult. Her last molt was probably three or more years ago.

Redacted

3 Year Member
Is there anywhere I can see them all for comparison? Some of the G "north" look very different from her.
Photos can be a bit inaccurate because of lighting.

Porteri carapace is rich wine in color. Body is brown-grey.

'North' carapace is brass tan with a scant pink-red tint. Body tan mostly.

Team Gomberg

3 Year Member
When I was choosing my T, there was a clear difference in coloring between the 2 options. The one I didn't choose had a beautiful wine red color you describe, like in the photos but also in the legs. It was so beautiful!
So technically, I saw 2 different variations of rose hairs?

Redacted

3 Year Member
When I was choosing my T, there was a clear difference in coloring between the 2 options. The one I didn't choose had a beautiful wine red color you describe, like in the photos but also in the legs. It was so beautiful!
So technically, I saw 2 different variations of rose hairs?
Ahhh, that would be G. rosea, the Red Rosehair. Once it was thought to be a morph of the Common Rosehair, G. porteri. So, they referred to the red one as Red Color Form = "RCF", and the other one as Normal Color Form = "NCF". Rosea is pretty much uniformly light maroon-red. Some more striking than others. I also keep them.

Latest posts