• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Back in the T world

Team Gomberg

3 Year Member
Hi, my name is Heather. I recently purchased a sub adult female rose hair. My sons named her Chewbacca. :cool:

I kept a rose hair about 9 years ago. She was one of my animals used for educational purposes. I did birthday parties and group events with exotic animals. Once I started having kids I stopped my business and rehomed most of my animals, including my T.
Now that my boys are older, I felt they would enjoy having a T.
Mama's happy to have one again, too!

We've had her a week. I bought her private party from a guy who has a large collection. She's very calm and easy to handle. A perfect fit for us.
Hasn't eaten yet but I expected that.

20170101_211948.jpg

**tonight we switched her substrate to coco coir and ditched the wood chips.

20170102_182913.jpg

We had fun watching her on the big screen!

Marija

3 Year Member
Hello Heather and welcome!
The idea of parties and group events with exotic animals is awesome :D Too bad we don't have those here, I'd love to attend one
Your son is so adorable :) I love how he shows no fear! He's gonna turn into a big animal lover. I have a 9 year old sister who was at first afraid of tarantulas but now loves them. She holds and pets my G pulchripes "Lucifer" all the time :), she even had the courage to hold my 5' N chromatus.
Here she with Lucifer :)
14632864_1159878637422655_5676412284702666751_n.jpg

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forums and more importantly welcome back to the hobby :) seeing your children handling your rose hair reminds me of the days when mine was docile.. she was laid back and never showed a threat posture even once until one of her random adult molts.. after that it was constant threat postures at any movement at all and it was a huge shock to see such a dramatic attitude change

Team Gomberg

3 Year Member
after that it was constant threat postures at any movement at all and it was a huge shock to see such a dramatic attitude change

Yikes! I sooo don't ever want that to happen! My previous rose molted with me but never changed her disposition. Hoping for the same thing here.
Is there anything we as the keeper/handlers can do to keep them docile or is it totally out of our hands? Like, regardless of our frequency in handling them, could they change regardless?

Team Gomberg

3 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

She holds and pets my G pulchripes "Lucifer" all the time :), she even had the courage to hold my 5' N chromatus.
Here she with Lucifer :)
14632864_1159878637422655_5676412284702666751_n.jpg

I never became familiar with scientific names. Although I quickly noticed they are commonly referred to that way. Any reason why tarantula keepers don't use the common names?

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Yikes! I sooo don't ever want that to happen! My previous rose molted with me but never changed her disposition. Hoping for the same thing here.
Is there anything we as the keeper/handlers can do to keep them docile or is it totally out of our hands? Like, regardless of our frequency in handling them, could they change regardless?
In my opinion I don't think there is a remedy to prevent attitude changes. My rose hair was held atleast weekly... more then that most of the time and she was calm. But when the molt happened I gave her a day to rest then raised her hide to get the molt the movement startled her but as soon as I reach for her molt she struck at my hand. She thankfully missed but she was never held again.. any attempt was meet with threat postures and kicking hairs :(

Last edited:

Team Gomberg

3 Year Member
In my opinion I don't think there is a remedy to prevent attitude changes. My rose hair was held atleast weekly... more then that most of the time and she was calm. But when the molt happened I gave her a day to rest then raised her hide to get the molt the movement startled her but as soon as I reach for her molt she struck at my hand. She thankfully missed but she was never held again.. any attempt was meet with threat postures and kicking hairs :(

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you have other Ts? If yes, do you still hold any of them?
Can this switch of behavior happen in other species too?

Last edited:

Team Gomberg

3 Year Member
Here she is in the new coco coir.
20170111_165006.jpg

Is it deep enough?

How damp should I keep it?

The tank lid (screen top) has been covered with a clear laminate sheet and has 3 slits in 2 opposing corners for ventilation. That should help with humidity and keep her from being able to walk upside down. Eventually I want to upgrade the laminate to a piece of glass or plexi.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you have other Ts? If yes, do you still hold any of them?
Can this switch of behavior happen in other species too?
Oh no this was my only T for a long time, however in February I'll be getting a p regalis and a brachypelma smithi to add to the list :) I already know the p regalis wont be held.. atleast not on purpose anyways lol.. who knows it might run up my arm.. lets hope not.. but I have a good feeling about the brachypelma smithi they seem super laid back

Team Gomberg

3 Year Member
Oh no this was my only T for a long time, however in February I'll be getting a p regalis and a brachypelma smithi to add to the list :) I already know the p regalis wont be held.. atleast not on purpose anyways lol.. who knows it might run up my arm.. lets hope not.. but I have a good feeling about the brachypelma smithi they seem super laid back

Uh, I'll have to Google those names and see what you're talking about lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The reason proper names are used is to leave no room for doubt about what species is being discussed. Several common names are similar to others, and aren't a reliable descriptor for species. Pet shop owners and importers dont get to name species discovered by naturalists. :D That said, there are a few that are still used commonly in the hobby, simply because everyone knows what a "GBB" is, etc.

Team Gomberg

3 Year Member
Oh, the Mexican red knee is pretty. Thanks hehe

Are rose hairs the only T that can have the behavior switches? What about the blonde..uh..blonde something or the mex red knee, do they go from docile to feisty too?

Team Gomberg

3 Year Member
The reason proper names are used is to leave no room for doubt about what species is being discussed. Several common names are similar to others, and aren't a reliable descriptor for species. Pet shop owners and importers dont get to name species discovered by naturalists. :D That said, there are a few that are still used commonly in the hobby, simply because everyone knows what a "GBB" is, etc.

Ok, I guess I better start figuring out the scientific names then. Is there a link to commonly used "T lingo" somewhere? I'm seeing all kinds of terms I have no clue about. LOL

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
What's my rose hair called? Is that the GBB you were referring to?

And how is it pronounced? I can read the names, not sure I can say them!
GBB I think is the green bottle blue tarantula and the rose hair -if- I remember correctly is the grammostola rosea..? needs confirmation