• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Babyproofing tank?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
You may be able to find child proofing clasps and locks for your tarantula tank at home depot. They have a special section for this stuff

jetfire

3 Year Member
Can't go wrong with good old fashioned redneck ingenuity...duct tape, baby.
Take 2 strips that are as long as the tank, and slightly overlap them, giving you a strip that's wider .this will be your "hinge".it goes on the back edged of the tank, over the lid ( taking care not to leave any adhesive exposed to the interior of the tank-you want to tape just the lid frame, not the screen). Then take a smaller, 3" strip, and put it on the front of the cage, as your "lock".again, just on the frame of the lid, and double over the last 1/2" onto itself, to give you something to grip to "unlock" the cage.
This way is the easiest, cheapest, and literally the most secure way I've found to secure a tank. You don't have too worry about the tape getting knocked off by a cat (or kid, or ferret, or anything else that has no business in there), lasts awhile (I usually only have to change the lock strip whenever the sticky wears out) , and now that duct tape comes in all different colors and patterns, you won't get bored with plain grey.

jetfire

3 Year Member
Like this
2012-06-09_13-52-01_814.jpg

If you look at the top edge in the pic, you can see where I stopped the hinge on the lid.I've had a duct tape hinge on every tank for years, its way easy to just lean the lid back while you do maintenance.the hinge itself lasts for a long time, the sticky lock tab gets replaced about every other month.

BigOtto

3 Year Member
All of my enclosures except for two have a place that I could put a pad lock on them. I do not trust some of my friends. I do have several pokies and a bite to one of my friends from any of those would be very painful.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Haha - love "redneck ingenuity"!
I would imagine that a tarantula bite would be far more serious for a baby than for an adult so I would personally go with something designed to lock securely and safely...
If I was just trying to keep a cat out, I would probably follow suit with the duct tape... just sayin'!

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've seen some people also use those bathroom hooks (like to hang a robe from) with the adhesive on the back. they've attached those to the sides/tops and then used elastic bands/rope/twist ties to connect the hooks. Not sure if that makes sense.

Richard Ray

3 Year Member
Just my thoughts on this: where you bought the screen top for an aquarium they sell the "locks" that fit that size screen top. I have a 55 gal tank that my ball pythons are housed in and I have 4 locks on the lid. I think it just looks better than having stuff piled on top of the screen to weight it down. I personally don't like the idea of using a tank for T's. Ventilation is a real problem, the risk of mold and fungus to the T's is to high for my comfort. I know a lot of people like the plastic containers. (I'm using them to for now) but I like the clear glass thing too so I can look in and see what the T's are up to. There are a lot of habitat /enclosures on the market that would work wonderfully for T's. Granted some of them are costly but if you are housing a T that's going to live 15 to 30 years the cost per year is so little. I paid $50+ tax for the exo terra terrarium that my A. Avic is housed in. Only thing I don't like about it is it has a screen top witch makes it hard to keep the humidity high enough. To solve this I cut some of the card board packaging to fit the top and loosely laid it over the top. At some point I will replace the screen.