• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. Smiti spiderling question

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi everyone. I am a new tarantulas keeper so im not familiar with the behavior. I got a b smithi spiderling a week. It is about 1.5" leg span. It would not except any food. and now she has sealed herself in her burrow. been there for 3 days. From what i have read so far this is "premolt" behavior. But is killing be not knowing if she is ok in her burrow or not. What do u guys think? Thanks for the help.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Have you checked at night or in the dark to see if she's coming out then? Can you offer a food item and see if she comes out and remove it if she doesnt? It sounds like molting behavior to me too. If it is, you won't hear/see anything until she's done. Sorry there isn't another answer but you'll just have to wait if she's molting.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Have you checked at night or in the dark to see if she's coming out then? Can you offer a food item and see if she comes out and remove it if she doesnt? It sounds like molting behavior to me too. If it is, you won't hear/see anything until she's done. Sorry there isn't another answer but you'll just have to wait if she's molting.
Yeah ive checked her at night to see if i can catch a peak of her. but she is sealed in literally. there are 3 exits to her cork bark burrow and she has shut them all with substrate. and the night she shut herself in i had a small cricket in there with her and she ignored it.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
She's molting. Give her some time and your patience will be rewarded with a beautiful T post-molt!

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ok. Thanks bud. Ill be back with more newby worry wart questions ...dont u worry. lol :)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
I also anticipate you'll soon have more Ts than just one! ;) :T:

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good guess. I am already eyeing up brazilian blacks and chaco golden knees....very pretty spiders. Wifey on the other hand is a little less than thrilled. lol

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
The good thing about Ts is that they don't take up a bunch of room and they're very easy to secure in their enclosures. It always takes a little bit of convincing with new Ts though. I totally understand!

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lol. Sure does. So how long do u think is too long for simber to be locked in? Shes been in there 3 days....shell crawl out when she is done i guess? or at least open a door?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
She'll crawl out or, more likely, kick out her molt when she's done. The time can vary quite a bit - up to a week, sometimes more. She's fine in there, try not to worry ;) :)

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah she has a game room and stuff built in there im sure. she has to been busy to be locked away for over a month. lol

Latest posts