• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B.Smithi name change is on the books now

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Boy I was sweating it. I called Andy "Anna" for the first 4 months he was here. He hasn't gotten over that.
far as I can tell he's a smithi looks a twinn of #22, legs and all.
Thanks

Some food for thought:

The T, in photo #22, is an example of a specimen who does not have the typical coloration (&/or carapace pattern), of a B. smithi (formerly B. annitha), and, instead, mostly has the coloration/pattern of a B. hamorii.

There is more to look at (&/or, especially, take a closer look at), with a specimen who has atypical coloration/pattern, in order to determine if it is B. smithi or B. hamorii.

Also something to keep in mind:
While there may be a small number, of exceptions, most "hobby B. smithi" Ts are actually B. hamorii.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Some food for thought:

The T, in photo #22, is an example of a specimen who does not have the typical coloration (&/or carapace pattern), of a B. smithi (formerly B. annitha), and, instead, mostly has the coloration/pattern of a B. hamorii.

There is more to look at (&/or, especially, take a closer look at), with a specimen who has atypical coloration/pattern, in order to determine if it is B. smithi or B. hamorii.

Also something to keep in mind:
While there may be a small number, of exceptions, most "hobby B. smithi" Ts are actually B. hamorii.
Good god you folks are confusing
I read the discriptions of those pictures- thought #22 was b smithi
What ever , Andy will be misnubbered for now. :)
Thanks

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Yeah, some things can be confusing sometimes.
Hope the following, that I explain, helps with some clarification:

#22 ~is~ a B. smithi (formerly "annitha").
It, however, does not have the typical color/pattern of that species.
That photo is an example of how some mistakes can be made, re. identification, at first glance ... without looking at other factors &/or taking a closer look.

Each species, both the smithi and hamorii, have a specific color, pattern, hair length, etc., etc.
A person, familiar with the phenotypes of each of these species, will, pretty much instantly, know which species it is. This would be because those specimens look exactly as they should and nothing, about it, appears questionable.

Then, there are those "few" individual specimens, of each species, that are "tweeners" (an in between) ... smithi that have some trait/s, of a hamorii, and hamorii that have some trait/s of a smithi.
It is only with closer inspection that determines whether it (the "tweener") is one or the other.

Last edited:

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Yeah, some things can be confusing sometimes.
Hope the following, that I explain, helps with some clarification:

#22 ~is~ a B. smithi (formerly "annitha").

Then, there are those "few" individual specimens, of each species, that are "tweeners" (an in between) ... smithi that have some trait/s, of a hamorii, and hamorii that have some trait/s of a smithi.
It is only with closer inspection that determines whether it (the "tweener") is one or the other.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
pasodama
could set me straight with some pictures of his last molt?
pasodama
these are the last molt -about 4 months old IMG_7423.JPGIMG_7424.JPG

Pasodama

3 Year Member
With Andy's carapace color/pattern, along with the appearance of his legs, I would venture to say that he is what has been known, in the hobby & for years, as the B. smithi. IOW he is a B. hamorii.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I honestly dont think colors can be used to distinguish the species..its too variable as far as regional differences. That's just an opinion. I've seen too many variations(regional, and from the same region) to accept color as a descriptor. Spermathecae doesn't lie, though. It's all become rather uninteresting and frustrating to me. Whatever my spider is called, its gorgeous. If it will breed with a similar/same looking spider and produce viable offspring, I'm happy. I'm not a vendor though. I'm just a keeper and sometime breeder. You'd have to be an entomologist/taxonomist to be sure with most species, and even they argue about it. What im saying is it creates much dilemma and frustration for laymen, even experienced keepers. I don't have a taxonomist handy, most times..nor do I put much stock in popular opinion, which has been flat wrong time and time again..even from "experts" (rofl) on AB. And they sound so sure when they post their opinions as fact..this is not a rant aimed at you @Pasodama, it's just my thoughts on a touchy subject:) I've seen differences in color in my native anax that have thrown color right out the window for me. And as far as I know, so far, anax is all we have in my area. So its not crossbreeding..and its far more than darkening or fading with the molt cycle.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
@MassExodus
I agree that color, alone, isn't quite the best identifier.
Although there are clear cut specimens, other factors/traits need to be looked at. Especially for those that have traits (esp. color) differing, in one form or another, from the "norm".
Then, there are, undoubtedly, hybrids out there.
We just have to do the best we can.
'Course, unless someone is a breeder, I wouldn't sweat this issue too much.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
LoL Can understand that. Doesn't need to suffer another identity crisis.;)
LOL yes Andy started @ his new home, Anastasia B smithi smith after the strong blacksmith
and ended up Andrew B hominy after the nasty tasting corn gruel.
I do see why the scientific/medical communities need they’re own specific language/descriptions.
I’ve been watching Live Safari lately and they comment on birds, plants and their new and old names.
To an outsider it seems like folks are just trying to get their own names in the record books. Immortality and all.
I’ll stick with the blacksmith.
I do think a bigger concern is mislabeling the sex, and the cop out it’s too hard to sex w/o the molt.
I believe the breeder knew this was a male. Either they or the pet shop knew a female is worth a few dollars more.

Latest posts