• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B.Smithi name change is on the books now

ManlyMan7

3 Year Member
I am confused. The first paper's abstract above said that smithi and hamorii were redescribed and that annitha is to be included in smithi. I did not read the full paper (call me cheap for not wanting to pay $40 for it), but the abstract sounds like smithi is still smithi, hamorii is still hamorii, and annitha is now smithi.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am confused. The first paper's abstract above said that smithi and hamorii were redescribed and that annitha is to be included in smithi. I did not read the full paper (call me cheap for not wanting to pay $40 for it), but the abstract sounds like smithi is still smithi, hamorii is still hamorii, and annitha is now smithi.

that's what i got out of it. I won't pay to read a paper i only understand 2% of either ;)

This link still shows the 2 as separate, and anitha a synonym of smithi.

ManlyMan7

3 Year Member
OK, having just read a thread on this on AB (in which the paper's author posts), I think some of my confusion is clearing.

It is not that they are reclassifying B. smithi as B. hamorii, it is that many/ most specimens in the hobby are in fact B. hamorii.

So B. smithi is still B. smithi, but many people actually have B. hamorii.

I have to wait a week to go home and look over my 10 "smithis" and figure out if any are actually smithi.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

WSC has the full paper from what I heard Tom say. You just have to register on that site, its quick he said.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Have just read, about this, where it is written in Spanish. A good read along with photos.

From what I can gather, Brachypelma annitha will cease to be used (or, IOW, name will cease to exist).
Instead, the Brachypelma annitha is now known as Brachypelma smithi.

Many (most) in the hobby, that we know as Brachypelma smithi, are actually Brachypelma hamorii and are to be named such.
That said, keep in mind that some specimens, named B. smithi (in the hobby), could actually be what is/was known as B. annitha but are/were, mistakenly, named "smithi".
This means one must look their "hobby smithi" specimen over since, while the majority will likely be hamorii, it all depends on their phenotype, &/or difference in spermatheca, as to whether they are, now, smithi (formerly known as annitha) or hamorii.

Sure hope what I wrote makes sense. LoL

If/When I find time, I'll see about translating, to English, unless I can find the/an English version.
If I don't get around to translating the writing, I may just post pics with info/explanation.
This is, of course, unless someone else beats me to it (in posting the info/paper).;)

tapkoote

3 Year Member
What the paper says is basically, the spider we've been calling B smithi is not the originally described B smithi, its a B hamorii. Dont dwell on it too much :)

Attachments

• th_thumbs.jpg
    th_thumbs.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 14

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Translation will have to wait, or be put aside (due to time/energy constraints), but I summed up what was there in my previous post.
The rest was regarding identification and locality. Pretty much what accompanied the photos that I am posting here.

Distribution - Mexico:
B. smithi (formerly annitha)- Guerrero.
B. hamorii - Jalisco, Colima, and Michoacan.

In the first pic (set of four) is the Brachypelma smithi (formerly annitha):
#19 is an adult male Brachypelma smithi. It has a carapace coloration like that of the Brachypelma Boehmei.
#20 & #21 is the typical carapace coloration.
#22 is a specimen with a carapace coloration that is similar to the B. hamorii. Which makes identification more complicated via color alone.
Annitha variants-800x593.png

In the second pic (set of four) is the Brachypelma hamorii (what we, in the hobby, are accustomed to knowing as the Brachypelma smithi):
#37 is an adult male. Carapace looks somewhat similar to smithi ("annitha")
#38 & #39 is the typical carapace coloration.
#40 is a specimen with a non-typical hamorii coloration of carapace.
Hamorii variants-800x630.png

As can be seen, B. smithi (formerly annitha) can have a carapace coloration variant that is similar to the B. hamorii and, likewise, the B. hamorii can have a carapace coloration variant similar to the B. smithi (formerly annitha).
These variants could, possibly, be due to hybridization via hobby breeding.

However, the legs can really help with identification. Even with those that possess conflicting color variations.

Third pic is of B. smithi (formerly annitha) legs:
Note the intensity of the red & orange and that they do not mix with the black. Colors have a "crisper" appearance than those of the B. hamorii.
Annitha legs-800x453.png

Fourth pic is of B. hamorii legs:
Note the long hairs and the orange & cream colors, on the knees, which the smithi/"annitha" lacks.
The orange colors are paler, than those of the smithi/"annitha", and the orange (& perhaps some cream), on the tibia, mixes (or diffuses) into the black.
Hamorii legs-800x434.png

Attachments

• Annitha variants-800x593.png
    Annitha variants-800x593.png
    925.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Hamorii variants-800x630.png
    Hamorii variants-800x630.png
    624.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Annitha legs-800x453.png
    Annitha legs-800x453.png
    326.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited: