• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. boehmei mating

argiope

3 Year Member
Hi,
I would like to report strange behaviour of my B. boehmei during mating. I have female 2 months after a molt and recently received an adult male, also about 2-3 months after molt. When I kept them in boxes next to each other, they both immediately started drumming. This convinced me that they are ready (I also saw him loading the sperm). Therefore I have put him to her enclosure already nearly 10 times during last month. Why so many times? I simply have not observed successfull insertions. Perhaps it happened, but I am not sure. Every time they were both nice to each other (my boehmeis are pretty nervous when I must manipulate with them - cleaning, etc). He hooked her soon, she easily let him to hold her in the right position. He started boxing her cephalothorax from beneath, but she was nearly lying on her abdomen (touching the substrate) and he could not reach her spermatheca. He was digging in the substrate under her and this is actually the reason I was not able to see the insertion.
According to my experiences, successfull mating usually changes the mood of female and she is refusing mating. But this one still looks eager to copulate.
My other brachypelmas often stand and the insertion is nicely visible from side, but with this pair it is different. Can anyone observed similar behaviour?
Thanks.
V.