• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B.albopilosum breeding

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
I have just ordered a true b.albopilosum breeding group (3 females and 1 mature male). This is going to be my first breeding project. Has anyone ever bred these, do you have any info or advice?
Here is my plan...

1. House females on slighly damp substrate. Lightly mist once a week. Feed them 1 dubia roach every other day.
2. Pair each female 3 times, depending on how receptive they are and how often the male makes a sperm web.
3. Continue feeding females as above until they make a sac.
4. Pull egg sacs after 30 days.
5. Incubate eggs untill 2nd instar.

This is quite exciting because ive been wanting to breed for a while, but i want to make sure i get it right.

Thanks in advance [emoji3]

Redacted

3 Year Member
Keep the male's cage next theirs. Add some remnant male's sperm web to their enclosures. Male is placed in female's enclosure. Make sure females have a hide, partially-buried plastic pot for example. They'll use it. After a uccessful pairing, pair him with another female the next day and another the day after that before giving him a break. Courtship can take a while with them.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Thanks, adding the sperm web to the females enclosures is an interesting suggestion. Im not too fussed if courtship takes a while, it will be an experience lol. Have you successfully bred these before walter?

Redacted

3 Year Member
Thanks, adding the sperm web to the females enclosures is an interesting suggestion. Im not too fussed if courtship takes a while, it will be an experience lol. Have you successfully bred these before walter?
Yup 2X with hobby form and in the midst of waiting (hoping) for sacs from WCs. Two females. My male is still crowing since he matured last fall. Both females mated then molted, now mated again.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
A quick question regarding sperm webs, ive tried to search on the net but nothing that i can find answers my question. If my male has already charged his palps before ive received him, will he wait until hes paired with the female before making a new sperm web? Ive put some of the females web in his enclosure and his enclosure is next to theirs, im waiting for his to lay some so i can put his web in the females enclosures.. He doesnt seem to be roaming around as much as id thought he would either.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A quick question regarding sperm webs, ive tried to search on the net but nothing that i can find answers my question. If my male has already charged his palps before ive received him, will he wait until hes paired with the female before making a new sperm web? Ive put some of the females web in his enclosure and his enclosure is next to theirs, im waiting for his to lay some so i can put his web in the females enclosures.. He doesnt seem to be roaming around as much as id thought he would either.
Couple of things. .....I would hate to see some of the options you got with that Internet search.....lol, but most importantly, how long have you had them? He is probably just getting settled. My understanding.....the order is web, charge, mate. So unless he had already charged up previously I think he will be having his own "I am legand" moment in those palps. I am not an expert though so this could s load of cr@p. Hopefully others will confirm. Really looking forward to how this all works out though pal ☺

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Ive had them 4 days, which i know is a very short time to expect him to have settled in, but i dont know if he has already charged his palps so he could be rearing to go, however his lack of roaming suggests he might not. Ive just shark tanked him with one of the females, just to see their reaction to each other. No drumming yet but she seems curious lol
03c8bdabfc796f5783547c7175311bbc.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had a P. Metallica female that died earlier this year and for those members who remember, there was a post on here for a free female from a guy who was emigrating. Long story short, the spider came up from Essex to Glossop and I picked it up "blind" frome the blokes sister. Anyways, "she" was definatley a he as had the emboli and when he was put in the females enclosure (despite it being all cleaned out) there was obviously hormones in the air as he drummed for fun! Would not normally be an issue but the tank was on my bedside table......lol. He was quickly relegated to the spare room btw. Point of this, not sure now.....lol. oh yes, 4 days is probably still a bit too soon and he might just be shy. Are the females deffo mature? As they may not be sending out the "I am ready for you big boy" signals.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
I suppose im abit premature, 4 days is quite a short period of time lol. I think the excitement is getting the better of me. As far as i can tell they are deffo adult females. Plus the spider shop are a trustworthy seller so i have faith that they are aswel. I have put the male back in his own enclosure now, ill leave it until he makes a new sperm web, if he hasnt in a couple of weeks ill try to shark tank him again and see if there is any more activity. Maybe if i shark tank him overnight it might ignite the passion haha.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I suppose im abit premature, 4 days is quite a short period of time lol. I think the excitement is getting the better of me. As far as i can tell they are deffo adult females. Plus the spider shop are a trustworthy seller so i have faith that they are aswel. I have put the male back in his own enclosure now, ill leave it until he makes a new sperm web, if he hasnt in a couple of weeks ill try to shark tank him again and see if there is any more activity. Maybe if i shark tank him overnight it might ignite the passion haha.
The flip side being if you keep shark tanking he will nt settle. Just a thought. I am sure they are females, just whether they are "mature" enough. Lol

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Ye thats true. Right take a step back johnny, breathe and relax lol. Wel now ive calmed myself i thnk my best course of action is to just wait for him to spin his magic silk and then try lol.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ye thats true. Right take a step back johnny, breathe and relax lol. Wel now ive calmed myself i thnk my best course of action is to just wait for him to spin his magic silk and then try lol.
That sounds like the best plan to me too. Unless he is gay.....lol

Redacted

3 Year Member
Short answer is yes. Let's say you successfully pair tonight, introduce to another female tomorrow and even day after that back to the first female. They're good for a few pairings before having to recharge. A few days near each others' cages and they all know who's there! He'll either show interest and be chased away, not be interested and avoid her, or show interest and she's receptive and they mate. Watch and see with forceps. When done, she'll vigorously drive him away.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
I just paired him up with one of my females, and got an insertion [emoji2] i couldnt get a pic as i was filled with adrenalin, nerves and excitment, i couldnt hold my camera as i was holding tounges in one hand and a plastic lid in the other lol. He approached her quite bravely, she turned and didnt put up a struggle, he pinned her and got a successful insertion [emoji13] the whole thing took about 5-10 mins. He went back for 2nds after they seperated but she wasnt interested lol

Last edited:

Redacted

3 Year Member
I just paired him up with one of my females, and got an insertion [emoji2] i couldnt get a pic as i was filled with adrenalin, nerves and excitment, i couldnt hold my camera as i was holding tounges in one hand and a plastic lid in the other lol. He approached her quite bravely, she turned and didnt put up a struggle, he pinned her and got a successful insertion [emoji13] the whole thing took about 5-10 mins. He went back for 2nds after they seperated but she wasnt interested lol
Nice going. If you have another female, try with her tomorrow. If not try with this one again Monday. If she mates again, good. If she violently rejects him, great. You're done.

Latest posts