• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B.albo

Houjo

3 Year Member
Hello I'm new to T keeping. I recently purchased a b. albo from Jamie's Tarantulas. I'm wondering how fast my T will grow. I have been feeding it dubia twice a week.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, there and welcome!

Congrats on your new acquisition! Did you get a male or female? Males will grow a bit faster. What size is he/she? What temps is he/she kept at? Higher temperatures will lead to faster metabolisms and growth.

I have a B. albo I kept as a sling for about 18 months or so, and it's proven to be a pretty slow grower. It started out at about 1/3" and is now about 1.25". It eats pretty well and is kept in the 70s for the majority of the year.

I also just picked up a juvenile pair from Jamies; B. albo is a wonderful species!

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is about 3/4" unsexed, and I keep it at about 78.

At 78, it's likely to grow faster than mine does. My temps are between 70-75 in the winter, so it cools down a bit here. Mine tend to molt more often in the warm summer months (up to 80). At those temps and feeding it twice a week, you will likely get to see your first molt sooner than later. :)

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Veeerrrrryyyyyy ssssssllloooooooowwwlllllly............
Mine is 4 years in and and just now 2". Started as 2i sling. I keep warmer temps and feed regularly.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Brachypelma have one of the slowest growth rates of any genus. If fed more and kept at higher temperatures, they can mature somewhat faster, but even then it won't make a huge difference.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Yeah, Brachypelma are very slow growers but in my experience B. albopilosum grow a little faster than most Brachys. It'll be a few years until it's mature, but you will have decent growth initially from what I've seen. Guess it depends on a number of factors.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
Yeah, Brachypelma are very slow growers but in my experience B. albopilosum grow a little faster than most Brachys. It'll be a few years until it's mature, but you will have decent growth initially from what I've seen. Guess it depends on a number of factors.

That sounds ideal. The slow growing has me intrigued. They are just so docile and sweet seeming They do that I think because the Brachy albo, it has been published, never actually stops growing, so I assume the slow growth rate keeps it healthy.

Thistles

3 Year Member
That sounds ideal. The slow growing has me intrigued. They are just so docile and sweet seeming They do that I think because the Brachy albo, it has been published, never actually stops growing, so I assume the slow growth rate keeps it healthy.
To my knowledge, all female tarantulas have "indeterminate growth." They continue to molt and grow throughout their lives, although it slows down as they age.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
To my knowledge, all female tarantulas have "indeterminate growth." They continue to molt and grow throughout their lives, although it slows down as they age.

WOw. Thanks Thistles. I didn't know that tidbit of savory info. I got a set up awaiting a new Brachy Albo. I came across a miracle grow product I am not going to use for the tarantulas because it is labeled as for in ground use. Hydrate brand with coconut husk and peat moss, designed for water retention. It looked great when I bought it but then I read, compost and for in ground use and figure the pothos ivy will love it up and the spiderwort plant will too that I have. Unless there is info saying it is alright for tarantulas, it's off limits to tarantulas. It doesn't have miracle grow formula in it, but the compost is unspecified. Ideas?

DewDrop

3 Year Member
I have that already scoolman, thank you though. I did not intend on using the peat coco for plants, I did wonder being frugal if it would work in a pinch, but no it clearly states for in ground use and not for container use.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have that already scoolman, thank you though. I did not intend on using the peat coco for plants, I did wonder being frugal if it would work in a pinch, but no it clearly states for in ground use and not for container use.
i was looking at miracle gro soil also. But it has plant food and fertilizers in the soil as well as perlite. Not sure how they would affect a T, i wouldn't recommend using any of the miracle gro or gardening soil with those additives.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
Yeah, with DKS being a big thing with many unknowns Miracle Grow is great for plants but I am not so sure about anything else. The research will be there and that company does care for the environment and surely must have the science too to help the beneficial garden insects with the dirt it sells. However, that is outside. Inside it may pose a risk to air quality. So, it's an inside product when it is labeled for inside and outside when labeled for outside. I am not risking my eight legged companions.

Latest posts