• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia versicolor

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is one of my A.metallica. see the bright metallic sheen it has to it? That's something that A.avic does not have. Also the foot pads on metallica are white at the tips, hence why they are occasionally referred to as "White toes." A.avic also have reddish-Brown hairs on the abdomen as adults while metallica do not. Both if I'm not mistaken have the red abdomens when younger though, as do the majority of Avic species. Metallica also gets larger, I had a male once that was close to 6.5 inches, though I suspect that's usually a more common size for females. A.avic is smaller, maxing out around 4-5 inches. Hope this helps.
e1906f9e5f270888a515879e9aea6954.jpg

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
About 70 percent of my collection are arboreal, and I can say they are of greater interest to me than most terrestrial species. Most of the terrestrial species I focus on now are obligate/fossforial burrowers. I still have my GBB and a few Brachys so that satisfies my want for display species, atleast when it comes to terrestrials. I don't dislike any of the "pet rocks", but I'm sorta past the point in my collecting of tarantulas where I am not as focused on acquiring those types of species. I find arboreals and burrowing species to have more unique and interesting habits and lifestyles. I still love my B.smithi and other pet rocks, but once you get past the point of the basic stuff, there's honestly not a whole lot of stuff to talk about with them. When I mention this, it mainly applies to more experienced keepers. Those species are great for those who are fairly new to keeping tarantulas or who have never kept one yet, but they're just not the most exciting species to us. Their habits and lifestyles are all pretty basic, which is why they're so great for beginners. I feel that some may interpret this as me saying those species are boring, which trust me, that's not what I mean.Every tarantula is cool to me, some are just of greater interest than others.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hear ya :) I agree there's not much to the Brachys, but that's why i love them. I like the simple things ;) I'm dipping my toes in the arboreals with the Avics. They're just too beautiful not to have a few.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hear ya :) I agree there's not much to the Brachys, but that's why i love them. I like the simple things ;) I'm dipping my toes in the arboreals with the Avics. They're just too beautiful not to have a few.
Those will be your pink toes you are dipping in then huh.....lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Those will be your pink toes you are dipping in then huh.....lol
LMAO, depends if my niece gets a hold of me first. if i wear my sandals around her i end up with some color of toes ;) I just can't say no to her 6 yr old puppy dog eyes. I feel sorry for her dad lol.

Latest posts