• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia Avicularia breeding attempt 1 Q/A

Kellyfornez

3 Year Member
Hello i currently own 3 male Avicularia Avicularia, I also own 2 females. I am here on the forums just looking for passed experiences with breeding This species. I also came with questions and concerns on a male a friend gave me for a breeding loan.

If an immature Avicularia Avicularia molts out and shows he has tibial hooks how long after confirming he is a male until he is ready to make a sperm web?

I also have this male Avic a friend gave me and I put him in with my proven breeder female Avicularia Avicularia, he won't even touch her. He is huge I'd say 5" is he just to weak to mate?

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
They will usually make a sperm web within a couple of weeks of maturing, but this differs depending on the individual. First they will need to harden up after the molt, then probably feed. Is the male your friend gave you mature aswel, and when did he mature? I got told to try putting some of her web into his enclosure, once he has her scent off it he will start roaming and looking for her, then when he gets into her enclosure he will recognise that she is near. If he has matured a while ago though he may just be too far past it to mate.

Kellyfornez

3 Year Member
They will usually make a sperm web within a couple of weeks of maturing, but this differs depending on the individual. First they will need to harden up after the molt, then probably feed. Is the male your friend gave you mature aswel, and when did he mature? I got told to try putting some of her web into his enclosure, once he has her scent off it he will start roaming and looking for her, then when he gets into her enclosure he will recognise that she is near. If he has matured a while ago though he may just be too far past it to mate.
I feel he was a mature male before even the molt he had a few weeks ago he's about 5.5" he's huge he seems slow and weak I keep him contained with my female and he does not react. :/ the younger male will be in the mail today.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Its very rare that a male will molt again after it has matured, although it does happen. If it is the case he has molted again after his ultimate molt he will most likely be infertile now. If he is only recently matured, its just a case of waiting for him to make a sperm web, you probably wont see him making or using it, they tear them apart after they have charged their palps, but the remains are easy to tell apart from a normal web. Heres my mature male b.albo sperm web remains as a comparison.
d84492a35294d499c8a2d626e479db64.jpg

Redacted

3 Year Member
I feel he was a mature male before even the molt he had a few weeks ago he's about 5.5" he's huge he seems slow and weak I keep him contained with my female and he does not react. :/ the younger male will be in the mail today.
It sounds as though he's well past his prime.

Kellyfornez

3 Year Member
Yeah I can see his torn sperm webs I have an older female who isn't webbing anymore or who can't stick to glass sitting in it ahaha poor girl.

Latest posts