• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic avic is acting up!

Specs

3 Year Member
I got my first avic. avic. and she did really well at first. She ate the first night I had her. She would hang out on diff. Parts of her tank. Not really worried by my presence. Then a couple of days ago she made a start of a web. She was at the bottom of her fake plant looking out. I walked over to look at her w/ my son and she shot poop at us. I did not even open her tank. She has webbed a little more and there is a tunnel to her web.(not very thick silk). She has not really come out in two days. She moved around a little bit early today. I have had her for one week and she has had 3 crickets. Anybody got any ideas?? I think maybe pre-molt??

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Welcome around here, Specs.

Most probably premolt. What size is it? Do you have a picture of the enclosure? 3 crickets in one week is more than enough, even for a sling. Don't worry: if it stays in its silken nest, it means it's not hungry. You can wait for one week, let it settle down, then put a cricket on the bottom and see if it has taken the cricket next morning. If not, take the cricket away, and wait for one or two more weeks before a new attempt.

It's always stressing when a t doesn't eat, and the waiting on a molt can be stressfull too! But don't forget they don't need as much food as us or hot blooded mammals.

Specs

3 Year Member
As soon as I work out how to upload one..lol. I only have pics on my phone. The forum want let just upload from my phone. I guess I will have to look for another option.

Specs

3 Year Member
Sorry..just woke up...I'm little slow in the morning. I just found the button.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 99

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sounds like an avic to me :) one of my favorites.
I'd give your baby more plants to hide in. They seem happier with more hiding places. They also use them as Web points. Crowd up the top area with a little greenery.
If it's eating it's fine. And as always listen to Nicolas C.

Specs

3 Year Member
Should I take out the huge hide and put more plants and a smaller hide in there?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Anybody?? Is better to have a small hide and more plants??
Yes, avic's don't need a hide, they're tree spiders. They'll use more leaves and whatnot as anchor points and build their own web tunnel as a hide.

On my Avic enclosure i put an inch or so of substrate and lots of leaves and branches they can use for web anchor points, and a water dish. Here's an old pic of one of my avic sling enclosures to give you an idea.
20160110_125929[1].jpg