• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic Avic Enclosure Feedback/Suggestions?

Dylan

3 Year Member
Hello everyone! This is my first thread on this website and have just acquired my second T - Avic Avic (Pink Toe). I see that many people have arboreal set ups for their enclosure. I have it set up in a 5.5 gallon terrarium that is approximately one foot high. Is that a good height? I have some cork bark standing up she can climb on and some fake vines/plants stuck to the wall. Not much substrate on the ground, but it is dry substrate. No cross ventilation, but there is a lot of ventilation on top which I read is fine. I have the humidity around 50% in the room for the time being. I have a problem with heat in the apartment sometimes so I have a heating pad on the side of the tank. I have read some forums, but haven't seen the answers I seek. If someone could please get back to me quickly that would be great. Heard Avics can die very suddenly and I want my juvenile to live as long a life as possible. All suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Dylan

3 Year Member
image.jpg
image.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've just got my first Avic but I do know they need that cross ventilation to survive otherwise it looks good.

This is my container, it's 3½ '' x 4¼'' x 8½ '' high, It has an air vent in one end with about 15 air holes on the opposite end, then there are 2 rows of 5 holes in each of the 2 sides

swimbait

3 Year Member
Yes cross ventilation is highly recommended, but no they do not NEED it to survive. They can survive without it... that being said I keep mine with lots of cross ventilation. I don't like the idea of normal aquariums being used for tarantulas but that is just my preference. Your set up looks good for being in an aquarium, your avic will likely settle it the cork bark tube. Sometimes they take months to even begin to web so don't be alarmed if no webbing yet. Looks like a pretty good size avic, do you know if its male or female? If its a male you won't be having that spider as long as you might hope

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes cross ventilation is highly recommended, but no they do not NEED it to survive. They can survive without it

Sorry I must have misunderstood. I thought lack of cross ventilation was usually blamed for Avis dying.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Sorry I must have misunderstood. I thought lack of cross ventilation was usually blamed for Avis dying.

You are not wrong, it usually is, along with too moist of an environment. Don't get me wrong it is highly recommended and I will never personally give somebody advice to not use it, but I have seen people raise them and keep them as adults without it. So they do not absolutely need it to survive but it greatly increases the chances.

Poec54

3 Year Member
Yes cross ventilation is highly recommended, but no they do not NEED it to survive. They can survive without it..

It depends on a variety of factors, like lid ventilation, substrate moisture, the climate you live in, etc. Moist cages kill Avics, there's ways to prevent that from happening, but the best for most people is cross ventilation, dry substrate, a water bowl, and little if any misting. Moist cages kill Avics more than anything else.

Dylan

3 Year Member
image.jpg
Waiting for a molt to see if it's a female, but from the ventral shots I think it might be. The tank does have a lot of ventilation from the lid being a screen top, and maybe I will look into the cross ventilation. Thanks for the advice, maybe someone could try to identify from the vent shot? Sorry if it's hard to see because of the flash

Ghost

3 Year Member
View attachment 9188 Waiting for a molt to see if it's a female, but from the ventral shots I think it might be. The tank does have a lot of ventilation from the lid being a screen top, and maybe I will look into the cross ventilation. Thanks for the advice, maybe someone could try to identify from the vent shot? Sorry if it's hard to see because of the flash

The thing with screen lids is that apart form the fact your T could get its legs or fangs stuck is that they let out the humidity and ruin the microclimate effect,Avics are care sensitive cross ventalation is the best way to go for them,remember avics live up in trees where they get a breeze and things dry out quickly,moist stuffy cages are fatal for them.
As for the sex of your avic I can't really see because off the flash if you could post a better photo that would help...

Latest posts