• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Austin S. Breeding Thread

Austin S.

3 Year Member
Updated pictures:

Grammostola sp. 'formosa'
upload_2016-5-16_10-8-30.png

upload_2016-5-16_10-9-9.png

Pelinobius muticus
upload_2016-5-16_10-9-45.png

Harpactira pulchripes
upload_2016-5-16_10-12-18.png

upload_2016-5-16_10-13-17.png

1.1 Harpactira pulchripes
upload_2016-5-16_10-14-50.png

upload_2016-5-16_10-15-20.png

Pamphobeteus ultramarinus female #2
upload_2016-5-16_10-16-0.png

Thistles

3 Year Member
Awesome! Very best of luck with the P. ultramarinus and KBs, too. I'm actually in the process of redoing my big female muticus' enclosure to give her room to dig a deep burrow. I know they're notoriously difficult to breed, so I'm prepping for my 2 little males well ahead of time.

Quick question on the H. pulchripes: how big are your adult females?

Austin S.

3 Year Member
Awesome! Very best of luck with the P. ultramarinus and KBs, too. I'm actually in the process of redoing my big female muticus' enclosure to give her room to dig a deep burrow. I know they're notoriously difficult to breed, so I'm prepping for my 2 little males well ahead of time.

Quick question on the H. pulchripes: how big are your adult females?

You would be surprised. I bred 4 females a few years back, and got 4 successful sacs. When you get ready to breed them, let me know and I'll send over my report for you.
Few pictures of a few of the females
upload_2016-5-16_14-40-40.png

upload_2016-5-16_14-41-16.png

upload_2016-5-16_14-42-28.png

Thistles

3 Year Member
Thanks for the info on the H. pulchripes! My female is about 3.5" but it didn't look like her spermathecae were sclerotized her last molt.

As for the KBs, I've seen 2 reports. One person (in the UK I think) built a false burrow using a Kritter Keeper connected to a peanut butter jar via a hamster tube... that seemed a little ridiculous to me. The other was a South African hobbyist. I just looked at their native range. I'm almost done with my new build for her, and I will post pics when I finish. I took a 20 gallon tall (12x24x18) and turned it vertical. Apparently they like to burrow under acacia roots, so I've put in a branch upside-down to serve as a sort of false root system. Excessive, I know, but it looks cool anyway. This gives her about 20" in which to burrow. I'm keeping her pretty dry now. My males are around 4" DLS each, so they should mature soon, in the KB relative sense of "soon..."

Sorry for the derail! Good luck and thanks again for the information. I'm really excited about those Pamphos you've got.

Latest posts