• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are wire mesh cage covers dangerous?

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I've heard that using lids made with wire mesh for adult tarantulas is very dangerous because they could be injured if they get their claws stuck on them. Heard a really scary story about someone who found their T hanging by one claw from such a lid (fortunately it was okay). Do you think these are safe to use?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They can be. I use them for my larger terrestrials that don't climb, and my pet holes. But I wouldn't suggest them for overly active Ts.

WiseWarrior

3 Year Member
My G. rosea used to enjoy climbing on the top, and on the mesh lid. There were some scary situations. So what I did was get a long piece of cardboard, cut a large rectangle in the middle, and put it underneath the lid. This leaves them room to breathe in the middle, while making it a lot more difficult for them to get stuck on the mesh. Even since I did this a couple years ago, there's been no more issues with my G. rosea getting stuck in the mesh.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Thanks for sharing that great idea! I'll keep it in mind. I've also heard you can put packing tape on the mesh (sticky side facing out) and then punch holes in it. But your cardboard idea sounds better. :)

Spidro

3 Year Member
I've come home and found my Haitian dangling from the mesh by one leg, scary as hell, got her on my hand and back down. As a temporary fix I got aluminum tape that I stuck to the top from the inside. Didn't cover the whole thing left some mesh showing for air. As a permanent fix I'm getting some plexiglass from home depot that I'm going to replace the wire mesh with, drill some holes in it and silicone it in place. Going to cost around $18 Canadian but I figure this will fix the problem and look much better in the end anyways. Some more ideas for ya, cheers!

Charmyknux

3 Year Member
My G. rosea used to enjoy climbing on the top, and on the mesh lid. There were some scary situations. So what I did was get a long piece of cardboard, cut a large rectangle in the middle, and put it underneath the lid. This leaves them room to breathe in the middle, while making it a lot more difficult for them to get stuck on the mesh. Even since I did this a couple years ago, there's been no more issues with my G. rosea getting stuck in the mesh.
Thats a great idea! Do you tape the cardboard to the lid?

Spidro

3 Year Member
Heres my permanent fix \m/
uploadfromtaptalk1391150179526.jpg

Valarachnid64

3 Year Member
a few years ago I found our pink salmon birdeater in my profile pic dangling from the wire screen lid with her fang all the way through and completely stuck. It was a horrible ordeal. She ended up loosing that fang and it took multiple molts for her to regain it. Now she has two beautiful fangs again and we will never use a hard wire mesh lid ever again. Some of my T's don't climb like she does but she is so adventurous and has the most interesting personality. I love the plexiglass idea, how did you do it exactly?

Spidro

3 Year Member
Bought a sheet of plexiglass, cut it to size with a exacto-knife, had to score it about 30, then smap it but turned out smooth. Then from underneath I siloconed the perimeter of the actual lid, stuck the plexiglass to it, siliconed over the perimeter of the plexiglass from underneath, clamped and let it dry. Oh and for the holes I drew a grid, and drilled at every inch in variation. Thanks glad u like it \m/

Spidro

3 Year Member
Oh suppose I should also mention, black silicone, that is 100% silicone and has no mold or mildew inhibitors, and ur t should get along with it fine. Found a product at home depot that fits the bill. Cheers! \m/

Latest posts