• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are these enclosures okay?

spider

3 Year Member
Hello :)

I'm new to this! I don't own any spiders yet. The 3 that I want are all coming from private owners and come with their tanks but I found 3 Exo Terra enclosures for sale and I'm womdering if they would be okay. I like them because they are big and easy to see the spiders in!

Okay. So the new enclosures measure 18 wide by 18 long and 12 high. Inches. The spiders are: a Brazilian Salmon Birdeater that's around 7 inches, a Mexican Flame Knee that is 6 inches and a Brazilian Black that's around 3 inches.

Also, could someone please tell me what substrate I should get? Thanks guys! :)

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They sound okay just as long as they have plenty or ventiliation. Also I use coco fiber substrate for my spiders

spider

3 Year Member
They look like this:
20161227_194249_Burst02.jpg

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
I'd swap out the screen top with a piece of Plexiglass with holes drilled init.

I've never used the exo terra enclosures but I'm just curious why you would swap the screen lid out. Those species in particular don't need higher humidity so I would assume that the screen top would be acceptable. Since I've come back to the hobby I've seen a lot of changes and new discoveries so for all I know we used to keep those t's wrong.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
I've changed the exo-terra lid because I was afraid that my T - who sometimes climbs even being a terrestrial - might have the claws being trapped in the mesh lid and hang there by one leg. It happens, and for me changing the top lid is my way to avoid that. But you are right: as far as I'm concerned, it's not because of humidity issues.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
I've changed the exo-terra lid because I was afraid that my T - who sometimes climbs even being a terrestrial - might have the claws being trapped in the mesh lid and hang there by one leg. It happens, and for me changing the top lid is my way to avoid that. But you are right: as far as I'm concerned, it's not because of humidity issues.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

gotcha, I usually set up my terrestrials with enough sub that they could reach the ground if they were stuck in the screen and I would hopefully be able to unhook them in time. It happened once with my rosie, but she was fine and I just lowered the lid into her tank and she got unhooked.

Latest posts