• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are Avics..

Rmac88

3 Year Member
..Always such little fat @$$es?? Mine is currently munching on two large crickets, one in each fang. Meanwhile a third I accidentally dropped in its enclosure at one point crawled up to where Buttercup is stuffing her face and she went after it! I just left it in there bc she will probably eat it when she's done stuffing her face!

Postscript: still banging my head against the wall waiting on the B. albo sling to moult!

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
depends on how often you feed them and the size of the prey. I feed mine prey roughly the size of their abdomen, twice a week. My avics will avoid anything larger than that. When i have to double up roaches to get that prey "size" she'll do the same, eat them both. My guess is she was probably defending her food rather than trying to eat the 3rd cricket, but she could have been practicing gluttony.

Rmac88

3 Year Member
Yeahhh she just grabbed the third one and is munching it right now [emoji1]

To be fair...I rescued her from a Petco "death cube" so she was probably starving.

Also, post-post-script....check the T molting forum...[emoji6]

VanessaS

3 Year Member
My larger A. avicularia is a very secretive eater, I find. No matter how long I watch - she won't even move a muscle to catch the food I put in for her. As soon as I stop watching, she has them and is eating them. Must be a female. ;)

Carl

3 Year Member
My larger A. avicularia is a very secretive eater, I find. No matter how long I watch - she won't even move a muscle to catch the food I put in for her. As soon as I stop watching, she has them and is eating them. Must be a female. ;)
Lmao my avic started grabbing her food and disappears with it.

Rmac88

3 Year Member
Mine is a pretty intense eater. But (s)he is very hit or miss. She will either maul food with force or slap it away and turn her butt to it [emoji1]

Last time I fed her I decided not to tong feed and just dropped the cricket in her enclosure. Never saw her grab it but it definitely disappeared

Carl

3 Year Member
Rosie just grabs it, runs to her log, disappears and comes out for another locust or whatever I'm giving her when she's finished

Latest posts