• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone Collect and pin insects?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just throwing that out there. Something i do in my spare time, when i find some. I also make the display cases for my collections using weather stripping and wood to makes them air tight. I was just seeing if anyone shared this interest.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i guess i look at it a little differently. I do it to learn more and i can appreciate them for as long as i live this way. I am always walking past my cases and find myself just standing there staring into them for a couple of minutes.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't as I don't want to kill them, Honestly bothers me to pre-kill my T's things.
I do want to learn to preserve and stuff the exo's from my T's and mount those tho.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You've brought this up a few times, and I do find it interesting, I just get wrapped up too much in live ones :) But I do see why you collect them the old way, to look at them closely anytime you want, on display. Some of them are truly fascinating to look at up close. Just looking at they way they're put together is interesting to me, the colors and intricate details. You should try out macro photography Entity, I bet you'd love it. I've seen some macro shots of common insects that are just stunning...from what I've heard it takes a lot of patience to get good at it and get the best shots, but the effect is amazing and quite beautiful. There are quite a few people doing it now, and I'll be looking into it myself when I can afford the equipment I want.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I did this in middle school and high school but haven't since. It was a fun hobby. And like @MassExodus said you get to study the creatures anytime. Might be something i'll have to get back into.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I studied Entomology briefly in college. Built up a nice collection. Revived it with my kids but the interest moved to live bugs. Well pinned and labeled collections are like fine art to me. Very cool.