• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

any tips on catching crickets ? etc

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They make a kritter keeper for crickets. Exo Terra is the brand i have. Reviews on the Lee's kricket keeper were worse than the Exo Terra. Amazon has it for $13, the small size. It comes with 2 square tubes for hte crickets to hide in, a food dish, and a water dish with a synthetic sponge. They eat the sponge though and i didnt' want my T's to eat that. So i removed it and use the Luker's water gel stuff.

The tubes have a clear cap on the outside end. and the slots they slide in the sides of the keeper have doors so the remaining crickets inside can't get out.

What i do is pull a tube out, then tap/shake all but 1 cricket out of the tube (if they all fall out i put it back in until one crawls inside) then open the door on the T's enclosure and tap/shake that cricket out. For my T's and enclosures it works perfectly.

I did find that some crickets were dying being crushed between the food/water trays and the side of the keeper. I super glued them to the bottom against the wall to prevent that. just have to be careful replacing the tube that you don't accidentally crush or pin one.

Link for the keeper i have on amazon -
http://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Cricket-Pen-Small/dp/B0073K6HW0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1450306782&sr=8-5&keywords=cricket keeper

The lps here has the medium size for the Lee's brand, but they want almost $30 for it. It's why most of my purchases are online :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tongs and forceps are pretty much a must-have in this hobby so I usually just use those for picking up crickets. I also have a small hand-held aquarium net I use.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I tip as many crickets as I want into an empty tub then decant into a couple of vials then I can catch them easily.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Since my son has turned my bedroom into the T feeding room, the Cricket keeper has been a great solution. I haven't slept with one since or been woken up (or kept up all night) by their chirping. He's horrible at putting lids back on enclosures, so i'd have crickets lost in my room all the time when we first started.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Use your fingers, Put toilet paper rolls or egg carton in there so you could just pick up that and put one in
I agree I use my fingers also,
One of the larger pen tubes works well for the tiny ones too though. my daughter wont touch them, so I showed her the pen trick.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
for pinheads and tiny crickets, take the casing of an old marker, cut a notch in the big end and scratch it up within the barrel a bit, for a foot hold, the crickets will climb up into it, then just tap it to dislodge them :p Just like a paper towel roll or TP roll but smaller for the littler insects.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
They make a kritter keeper for crickets. Exo Terra is the brand i have. Reviews on the Lee's kricket keeper were worse than the Exo Terra. Amazon has it for $13, the small size. It comes with 2 square tubes for hte crickets to hide in, a food dish, and a water dish with a synthetic sponge. They eat the sponge though and i didnt' want my T's to eat that. So i removed it and use the Luker's water gel stuff.

The tubes have a clear cap on the outside end. and the slots they slide in the sides of the keeper have doors so the remaining crickets inside can't get out.

What i do is pull a tube out, then tap/shake all but 1 cricket out of the tube (if they all fall out i put it back in until one crawls inside) then open the door on the T's enclosure and tap/shake that cricket out. For my T's and enclosures it works perfectly.

I did find that some crickets were dying being crushed between the food/water trays and the side of the keeper. I super glued them to the bottom against the wall to prevent that. just have to be careful replacing the tube that you don't accidentally crush or pin one.

Link for the keeper i have on amazon -
http://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Cricket-Pen-Small/dp/B0073K6HW0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1450306782&sr=8-5&keywords=cricket keeper

The lps here has the medium size for the Lee's brand, but they want almost $30 for it. It's why most of my purchases are online :)
this is what we use and we love it - i tap them into a vile first and then disperse them as needed- except for my pink toes I swear they would take them by hand if I didn't have the common sense to NEVER do so. I just toss them into their hides and they eat them all up. :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use my hand to pick them up. Then I take them to the door and throw them out on the grass. Eheheh
cool to see this brought up again. I haven't had any crickets in my place since just after posting in this thread. The roach colony is so much better than a small KK of stinky chirping crickets :D

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ha ha ha....just stumbled on this thread. I need a tip for catching crickets, just spilled a full tub all over my bedroom floor. Bed bugs tonight.....lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ha ha ha....just stumbled on this thread. I need a tip for catching crickets, just spilled a full tub all over my bedroom floor. Bed bugs tonight.....lol

Ooops!!! That's when you need a cat, they great for hunting out escapees and eating them

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In your case @Phil you need a large iguana or similar you can let loose in your room and act as a cricket vacuum :) Hopefully they weren't large one and chirp all night

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am hoping the house spiders will feast on them instead....lol
The vacuum wiped several dozen out. They are only small so an absolute nightmare to see and catch.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In your case @Phil you need a large iguana or similar you can let loose in your room and act as a cricket vacuum :) Hopefully they weren't large one and chirp all night
Ha ha....no small ones....can leep tall building in a single bound though the way they are hopping around.