• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

another escapee

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sadly, my son forgot to secure the lid on his B. hamorii enclosure. The little sling (3/4" or so) escaped Saturday. He found him on sunday on the carpet below the shelf. It appears he fell from the shelf to the floor, and his abdomen is misshapen now, most likely damage from the fall.

We're not sure if he'll survive. My son has him in his enclosure with a prekilled roach and full water dish (and secured lid). So we'll see what happens. I told him if he hasn't moved or eaten by this evening it's probably best to put him out of his misery. He's looking at getting another hamorii sling, or maybe even a 2nd OW. He's been wanting an M. bal for a while now.

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fingers crossed for the little one. It may just be stressed and not feel like eating.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry @kormath . While I feel sorry for the sling, I hope your son is OK. I have done some dumb things--real dumb things--when it comes to tarantulas. I hope your son's simple oversight doesn't eat him up too much.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry @kormath . While I feel sorry for the sling, I hope your son is OK. I have done some dumb things--real dumb things--when it comes to tarantulas. I hope your son's simple oversight doesn't eat him up too much.
He just ordered a new T ;) he's bummed about this one, but i think he learned to keep hte lids on tight. Unfortunately, he found his little B smithi in a death curl yesterday morning.

Then to top it off I fed the T's Monday night, Yesterday morning my son called me and said "Dad, i found a T crawling on your desk, YOU forgot to close your lids too!" lol He found my LP. Said he didn't have any trouble getting that grumpy beast into a catch cup and back in the enclosure. I remember leaving the lid on his open, i was waiting for him to start munching on the current roach i fed and was going to go feed him a 2nd one since they were a bit small for him/her. Got busy with dinner and whatnot and forgot to go back and close the lid.

My son's new M. robustum should be here hopefully Friday, but the way my luck with shipping is going probably Monday.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A lesson hard learnt by your son but you really must practise what you preach lol :rolleyes:. I'm glad he found yours safe and sound.