• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anastasia's life and times

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Another new coat for Andy!!!
He flipped over at 2:30pm today and out in the open. Not in the cave like last time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 3.47.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 3.47.29 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 13

tapkoote

3 Year Member
It's fascinating to watch, took a long time. Luckly I had some hockey to watch. I didn't see him flip over on his back, but it was a shocker seeing him lay there still. This is the coolest creature I've ever cared for.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Andy got his first cricket since molting april 21st. Now he's too tall for the cave. I wonder if he'll dig the cave deeper, of if he even can solve a problem like that. He moved stuff around when I used coconut fiber, but not since I ditched that stuff.
He does sleep in the cave.

Attachments

• IMG_7449.jpg
    IMG_7449.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
how big is he now? all of mine, once they hit about 2" or so, quit using the hides, they sit on them or beside them, but rarely go in them. My B. vagans even flipped her hide over and sat in the curve of it. When i took her to the bug zoo i put in a different hide that wasn't as easy to flip. With all the activity there that's the first time I've seen her use the hide since she was under an inch.

My smithi/hamorii filled in the entrance of his and sits on top, he's the king of the hill ;)

tapkoote

3 Year Member
how big is he now? all of mine, once they hit about 2" or so, quit using the hides, they sit on them or beside them, but rarely go in them.

My smithi/hamorii filled in the entrance of his and sits on top, he's the king of the hill ;)
This is my first T, it's love and hate. I had to rehouse him 3 times in the first week, he knows I'm a pest/predator. He did go back in the cave and finish his meal, after the third bolt of lightning from my camera. The first two didn't seem to bother him.
He must be close to 6 inches, last molt was 5 inches. I do know now no more still shots.

owax

3 Year Member
If you don't already have a breeder in mind...have a female that would like to get to know him a little better. :D

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Andy doesn't like meal worms? What you say. I dropped one in with the head squished, right in front of him. He jumped when it hit, but nothing after. Dropped a live one in, he grabbed it and let go. He turned away and i thought he had it. But couldn't see the worm. Then he dug frantically like a dog on a rat hole, piled up the dirt behind him. Then backed off. Put another in, let it squirm right in front of him, even touch him. Nothing, but when it dug a hole he went over it and watched/felt the vibrations, I guess. Hour later tried again same thing. Now he's in the entrence of his cave. I think he's following thier movements under ground.IMG_1009.jpgIMG_0999.jpgIMG_1010.jpgIMG_1011.jpg

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Anastasia II has arrived, around 10 am this morning. The idea is prince Andrew is in his final molt, hopefully he'll go off to mate and Ana II will take his place. But the seller " it's a female garanteed"!! doesn't answer his phone and doesn't reply to twitter, and my first spider was from a californ-i-a ripoff- labeled Female B smithi, and of course the pet shop did the song and dance on Andy. I've had a lot of hobbies in my years, this one takes the cake. I'd have to step on this one to make it 3" and it's probably 50-50 if it's a female. But it's healthy now and it'll get big and fat and be enjoyed for a while.