• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Am I paranoid, help confirm my T species

DeanoMolly

3 Year Member
so life's been amazing with my new pals, until today!
My b.smithi lector is a dream in fact a beginner couldn't of asked for a better T.
But Betty my b. Albipolosum is a cow bag! She is very aggressive, only just becoming social able! Every time I go to her and move her tank, she either legs it, or waits for the food or tweezers to enter then tag them!
Today I went to my local reptile centre to take a look at there chile cooper and Brazil white knee, when my mrs called me over to a high standing tank and said that looks the same as Betty,it was a salmon pink toe!
I've took some pics of Betty and post them here, if your reading this would you please give me your opinion, she was bought as a juve and as you can tell by some of the pics, she's a chunk already
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,006.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    957.4 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    811.1 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    972.6 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 58

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No such thing as a salmon pink toe. You must mean salmon pink bird eater aka Lasiodora parahybana. I hate common names for this exact reason, it generates so much confusion. These are not in the genus Avicularia commonly known as "Pink Toes". Those are arboreals, where as this is a terrestrial.

DeanoMolly

3 Year Member
It's what they had the tarantula named as, which is why I used the name, although looking into what you've said I'd say it was the L.Parayhbana! Plus this tarantula never had pink toes which I guess defeats the object!

DeanoMolly

3 Year Member
Unfortunately this is the best I could get

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    760.9 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 47

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One way to tell is if it grows about 1'' per moult it's an L.parahybana otherwise it's a B. albopilosum.

If it helps this is one of my B. albopilopsum

DeanoMolly

3 Year Member
Sorry the pics aren't great!! I'm just proper confused!! I'll try n get some more pictures!!see if it helps!! Thanks enn! To me Betty is a lot darker than ur t, but at the mo im lost

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So you can compare, here's a pic of one of my L. parahybanas at around 4''. The B. albos have hairier legs.

DeanoMolly

3 Year Member
I got a few more pics for u peeps, don't no if there any better, she'd just hard to capture must be camera shy,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    844.3 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    816.3 KB · Views: 27

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That looks like a Brachypelma albopilosum. Only way to tell if it's an LP is to wait for it to grow.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You're welcome. Curly hair tarantulas don't usually get past 6 inches. LPs will get around 7+ inches.

Latest posts