• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. versicolor setup

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
after reading numerous threads on avic setups i'm wondering if I bought the right enclosure.

I'm getting a 1/2" sling from Anastasia at net-bug.net. I also ordered the sling starter kit. a 2.25" square and 4" tall. I'm wondering if that will be tall enough? The enclosure also has about an inch of the height as the lid, so i'm afraid every time i open it for feeding i'll be destroying the webbing.

Should i be ordering a different enclosure?

I have one from ken the bug guy, it's a round dry spice leaf shaker, 2.5" in diameter maybe and 5" or so tall. It has a screw on lid but also has a popup section i can use for dropping in pinheads. Would that be better?

Only issue i can see with that is gettind down to the water dish with my syringe to fill it. I'd probably be messing up webbing every time i do that too.

Guess there's no real way around messing up the webbing somewhere :oops:

Any tips on raising these i'm missing?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
after reading numerous threads on avic setups i'm wondering if I bought the right enclosure.

I'm getting a 1/2" sling from Anastasia at net-bug.net. I also ordered the sling starter kit. a 2.25" square and 4" tall. I'm wondering if that will be tall enough? The enclosure also has about an inch of the height as the lid, so i'm afraid every time i open it for feeding i'll be destroying the webbing.

Should i be ordering a different enclosure?

I have one from ken the bug guy, it's a round dry spice leaf shaker, 2.5" in diameter maybe and 5" or so tall. It has a screw on lid but also has a popup section i can use for dropping in pinheads. Would that be better?

Only issue i can see with that is gettind down to the water dish with my syringe to fill it. I'd probably be messing up webbing every time i do that too.

Guess there's no real way around messing up the webbing somewhere :oops:

Any tips on raising these i'm missing?
They'll often web the lid shut, destroying some of the webbing isn't going to bother the spider that much, it'll reweb shortly after anyway. That's all just a part of keeping arboreals, I go through this on a regular basis. I would go with something that's around 5 or 6 inches tall personally, but what matters most is if the plastic is thin enough for you to be able to poke lots of holes into the sides without it cracking. Deli cups are the best way to go IMO with Avic slings. You don't have to feed it pinheads either, you can give it prekilled larger ones.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cross ventilation is done. I've put holes in the sling enclosure from ken the bug guy, i'll probaby use that as it's taller and has the "spoon" opening in the lid for feeding and watering. Inch or so of sub and a fake vine to climb and web on. Should work for a few molts, then he'll need to be rehoused again to something larger.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Very cool! Enjoy. I have a sling right now and it's already molted once since I got it a month ago. They are so neat, can't wait for mine to have it's mature colors, although their juvenile colors are gorgeous too!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very cool! Enjoy. I have a sling right now and it's already molted once since I got it a month ago. They are so neat, can't wait for mine to have it's mature colors, although their juvenile colors are gorgeous too!
I love the blue :) and i can't wait to see the color changes each molt they're reported to do. Going to be another week yet before they arrive though, weather is super cold at the vendors :( I really hate waiting lol

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cross ventilation is done. I've put holes in the sling enclosure from ken the bug guy, i'll probaby use that as it's taller and has the "spoon" opening in the lid for feeding and watering. Inch or so of sub and a fake vine to climb and web on. Should work for a few molts, then he'll need to be rehoused again to something larger.
I'd recommend putting in some plastic leaves or a little vine/plant near the upper portion of the enclosure so you'll have extra anchor points for it to web on. I use a little chunk of cork bark or a branch of some kind as the main object for it to climb on and web against, the vines and leaves are just extra anchor points. Just some tips if you want to see more webbing. With Avics I do add a few extra holes near the top, since they'll often cover some of them with their webbing.

swimbait

3 Year Member
I'm assuming the sling starter kit is the small arboreal/fossorial enclosure from net.bug.net? For future reference you can buy the exact container at the container store for a buck. Could have bought 9 of them ;) Flip the enclosure upside down, keeping the substrate in the lid. The avic will setup at the top of the cage and when you remove the top you likely won't be destroying web. Plus you can keep the waterbowl at the bottom and it won't be unaccesible. I have house many species this way with success

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm assuming the sling starter kit is the small arboreal/fossorial enclosure from net.bug.net? For future reference you can buy the exact container at the container store for a buck. Could have bought 9 of them ;) Flip the enclosure upside down, keeping the substrate in the lid. The avic will setup at the top of the cage and when you remove the top you likely won't be destroying web. Plus you can keep the waterbowl at the bottom and it won't be unaccesible. I have house many species this way with success

Yep that's the one. I've looked at the containerstore online but i can't find anything like this. where are you seeing it?

So flip it upside down and then remove the top with the spider and plant, sub in the bottom and water dish. Thanks! i never would have thought of that. Keeps from ruining the higher webbing :)

swimbait

3 Year Member
Yep that's the one. I've looked at the containerstore online but i can't find anything like this. where are you seeing it?

So flip it upside down and then remove the top with the spider and plant, sub in the bottom and water dish. Thanks! i never would have thought of that. Keeps from ruining the higher webbing :)

Yep, you got it!

Here: http://www.containerstore.com/s/gif...oxes/clear-amac-boxes/123d?productId=10003497
http://www.containerstore.com/s/gif...94&green=DEC80E7E-9FA9-5FA0-0792-2347CBD117C8

It seems like they got a little more expensive but still way cheaper. I like the 2x6 ones for small arboreals, have had just as much success with the smaller size too. I use the large size as the next rehouse usually. I'll take some pics of enclosures later to give you some ideas

swimbait

3 Year Member
20160106_171423.jpg
20160106_171608.jpg
20160106_171628.jpg
20160106_171646.jpg
20160106_171649.jpg

Built that last one out of 2 amac boxes years ago, just found it while looking for old cages to take pics of. As you can see I use this style a lot, I usually drill some holes up top to hang fake leaves through, just hot glue from the top. If they made 12X16 amac boxes I'd bee ALL OVER them

and excuse the messy reptile room was in the process of cleaning today

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i like it. I ordered a few different sizes of those boxes. I've read amac boxes in here before, not sure why it didn't click lol.

Great idea anchoring the plants in the holes. I was wondering how to set it up to lift the plants and all and not make a mess of the sub in the bottom :)

swimbait

3 Year Member
I bet it works out real well for you! Glad you found them. They are the same things and T dealers sell them for 4 times the price

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Have you all checked like at hobby lobby or michaels? they sometimes have the larger display boxes, saw you wanted a bigger one. Thinking like a display for a wine bottle or football maybe?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Have you all checked like at hobby lobby or michaels? they sometimes have the larger display boxes, saw you wanted a bigger one. Thinking like a display for a wine bottle or football maybe?
that's an idea. i've made acrylic cases for baseballs and such. Might try making my own for a T. I've got a couple years to tinker before i have to have one for a full size T lol

Matthaus

3 Year Member
Yep, you got it!

Here: http://www.containerstore.com/s/gif...oxes/clear-amac-boxes/123d?productId=10003497
http://www.containerstore.com/s/gif...94&green=DEC80E7E-9FA9-5FA0-0792-2347CBD117C8

It seems like they got a little more expensive but still way cheaper. I like the 2x6 ones for small arboreals, have had just as much success with the smaller size too. I use the large size as the next rehouse usually. I'll take some pics of enclosures later to give you some ideas

This is great. But as a South African, the shipping is ridiculous but understandable of course.
It's so difficult finding these sort of tanks here and it's frustrating as hell... Because i have an A.versicolor on standby order, just finding a tank online is a nightmare.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i like these amac containers. I wish they came larger to use for the adult size and i'd just keep upgrading those.

swimbait

3 Year Member
i like these amac containers. I wish they came larger to use for the adult size and i'd just keep upgrading those.

Agreed, I know there are display cases out there but they aren't the same style and much more expensive. Would love to have this exact style box in bigger dimensions

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What's the best way to feed the avic with this enclosure setup. She's started webbing at the top, and I've tried a pinhead lateralis, but she ignored it, even when it went up the leaves and got stuck in and then broke part of her web. I thought maybe it was too big for her, so i beheaded it and left it on the substrate overnight. She hasn't moved since i beheaded it.

Should i turn her upside down and drop the food in so it sticks in her web?

Latest posts