• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

a small milestone, one month.

silentarantula

3 Year Member
am a tarantula owner of three slings Grammostola pulchripes for a month with great news this morning, the last third sling molted this morning.

1moann.JPG

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Assuming they are from the same egg sac, try identical feeding and temperature etc to see if you can sex the males sooner than females. Unlike the human race, males mature quicker.and therefore avoided mating with their own (that's the theory anyway). Mark pots 1 to 3 and monitor molt dates?. I am am doing the same with 3 P. Metallica slings atm. Adds to the fun of keeping them I reckon :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
am a tarantula owner of three slings Grammostola pulchripes for a month with great news this morning, the last third sling molted this morning.

View attachment 14811
Also, here is a few ideas for molts.
1. Put yur first molt in a tiny vial. Hrer is my (a, versicolor). Make good key chains too....lol
2. when they get bigger, just keep the fangs in ther
3. when they are really big, try mountain ting in a frame (A. geniculata)
Congrats on the molt ☺

Attachments

• 20151230_145717.jpg
    20151230_145717.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20151230_145717.jpg
    20151230_145717.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 18

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
1. Put yur first molt in a tiny vial. Hrer is my (a, versicolor). Make good key chains too....lol
Congrats on the molt ☺

Attachments

• 20160222_001850.jpg
    20160222_001850.jpg
    908.4 KB · Views: 16

silentarantula

3 Year Member
Assuming they are from the same egg sac, try identical feeding and temperature etc to see if you can sex the males sooner than females. Unlike the human race, males mature quicker.and therefore avoided mating with their own (that's the theory anyway). Mark pots 1 to 3 and monitor molt dates?. I am am doing the same with 3 P. Metallica slings atm. Adds to the fun of keeping them I reckon :)

indeed, breeding isn't in my mind right now. i just started with those Ts, as well. but in future, i'd like to try. yes, they come in same sac, and i got two more of those. i got those for free from a friend of mine as a starter tarantula, i also bought from him all Ts i have in my collection. i will get three different new slings from mail for first time.

i just buy the slings because they are cheaper, but knowing it take time to reach maturity. just want buy and trade/sell/loaner to keep my hobby and cash in flow instead going down the drain money with some expensive adult females and my other costly hobbies (r/c trucks and fishing).

yeah, i have a chart for their feeding routine and molting stages. yeah, it's fun to keep track of them, they have their own personalities.

silentarantula

3 Year Member
Congrats on the molt ☺

you gave me a great idea how to use small molts, keychain is good idea. i was planning to ask around sometimes later on when i have enough molts. yes, i'd definitely frame up in future with some beauty molts. as for now, i plan to frame up the "cycle of molting from sling to juvenile" since they are my first ones.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
by the way, i got female a. avicularia. she's gorgeous of my collection as far (as you can see she's on my profile picture), i want some versicolor slings very soon.
Versicolor slings are especially gorgeous IMHO. I have a pic of mine in my gallery. See link in signature for this and my others. That's a nice looking A. Avicularia too.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
you gave me a great idea how to use small molts, keychain is good idea. i was planning to ask around sometimes later on when i have enough molts. yes, i'd definitely frame up in future with some beauty molts. as for now, i plan to frame up the "cycle of molting from sling to juvenile" since they are my first ones.
I have also placed the molts of slings into those clear picture keyring. Put name and date etc and then place the cover on it. Crushes the molt a little but if you do it when fresh it looks like the tiny little thing is frozen in time.....lol. did one for my daughters first spider. She still has it 8 years on. It was so cute as she used to call it a "shredded" skin instead of shedded. So naturally the message in the key chain was a thank you to her taking good care of the spider for its first "shredded" skin.

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Congrats on the molt ☺
Awesome idea!

Latest posts