• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A S.A.D.S. day.

Lee. M

3 Year Member
I think Bobby, my juvi A.metallica, has passed away. He'd been very inactive for a couple of weeks - curled up in his tube web, but moving slightly every few days.

Thinking he was due a moult, I left him alone and didn't introduce any prey. After a week, I've found him in the dreaded death curl at the bottom of his viv. I may be wrong. But I think he's gone.

Gutted. [emoji22]

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm so sorry. It always hurts to lose one but more so when it only a youngster. :(

Lee. M

3 Year Member
Thanks Enn, thanks Marija.
I really thought he/she was out of the woods - as he'd got to about 6-7 cm and almost got his adult colours.
Sorry to hear about your little Rufi, Marija. The first loss is hopefully the worst.

Marija

3 Year Member
Thanks Enn, thanks Marija.
I really thought he/she was out of the woods - as he'd got to about 6-7 cm and almost got his adult colours.
Sorry to hear about your little Rufi, Marija. The first loss is hopefully the worst.

Such a shame :(
Thank you. It was actually a P striata sling.
Gotta tell you that the first loss is the worst, you keep asking yourself if you did something wrong but it was just inevitable to be honest. Sometimes there's nothing you can do...

Lee. M

3 Year Member
I can only assume that the cross-ventilation wasn't good enough. I moved him from a round plastic sweet jar that I'd attacked with a soldering iron - into a glass viv with front and top vents.
I was never too fussed about avics until I got him last spring, but I'd definitely get another. And complete my pokie collection...

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can only assume that the cross-ventilation wasn't good enough. I moved him from a round plastic sweet jar that I'd attacked with a soldering iron - into a glass viv with front and top vents.
I was never too fussed about avics until I got him last spring, but I'd definitely get another. And complete my pokie collection...

sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you keep the faith and stuck with more Avics and pokies, both very interesting and gorgeous species to own.

Last edited:

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

It is terrible to lose an investment. I lost both of my Avics recently as well. One was a MM A. Metallica (I knew that one was coming) and an A. Versicolor sling. It was in a pill vial that was sent to me as a pre made enclosure along with the sling back in October 2016. It had ventilation at the top only. The death of the sling is when I decided I would never use pill vials for arboreals ever again. Only advice I can give is go nuts with cross ventilation. I did that with my late male and he lived a full life.