• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A quick question about my Avicularia Avicularia spiderling

SpootyBooty

3 Year Member
Edit: I know I posted this in the introduction forum, but I can't figure out how to remove the thread from there so it doesn't look like I'm spamming or something, I apologize.

Hello there.

I'm new to the hobby, and recently got my first tarantula which is just a Guyana Pink Toe. And it's a spiderling. I did a ton of research before getting a tarantula, decided if I wanted terrestrial or arboreal and I saw this cute little baby at Petco and got it (probably shouldn't haven gotten it there, but I was being cheap and I thought they were super cute).

So I get it home, take the cricket that was in there cause it was WAY too big, and replaced it with a little tiny one and put a little bottle cap full of moist peat moss in case it was thirsty and to give it some humidity. After this was done, I left it alone and it crawled on top of the moss, and just kind of sat there and curled up a bit. The next day I went to an exotics shops, bought some cork bark to put in there so it could climb up and such and saw it had scrunched its legs up. I work at a pet shop myself, and we've sold Tarantulas in the past and have seen when they're getting ready to molt, so I assumed this was happening.

After getting the cork bark, I very carefully lifted the bottle cap out of the container, put it in another container just in case and set up its new enclosure, and gently put it back inside. Right now it's sitting in an empty bottle cap cause I accidentally knocked it out (go me), and panicked and very gently scooped it back into the cap and put the moss next to it. I called the store I had gotten the cork at, they said its probably just molting it'll be fine, and as long as its rump isn't shriveled up or looks dented, it's still alive and just molting. I also took it in cause I couldn't see the rump very well cause it was kind of in an awkward position; they said give it until the end of the week and if nothing happens, then I can get a refund for it or do an exchange.

It's been a day now, it's still curled up in the bottle cap and hasn't flipped over on its back or anything, I've read it usually takes minutes for a sling to molt. I haven't done anything to it, just go in and check on it, and it's still scrunched up. Should I continue to leave it alone or assume the worst..?
If it helps, I can get a picture of it right now in its current state.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
First. Pictures would be invaluable. Of the enclosure and the baby. Avic need a Lot of ventilation, stuffy enclosures and lack of ventilation are killers to these babies. No need for the Moss a bottle cap of water is fine they won't drown.
Now, they like lots of leaves to use as cover and webbing points. Rehousing is stressful for a tarantula, it's not unusual for them to stress curl from it.
Make sure it has some nice substrate (most of us use coir) a clean water dish (no sponge or Moss necessary) and plenty of places to climb and hide.
Please post pictures if your able so we can tell you if you need more ventilation etc.

SpootyBooty

3 Year Member
Sorry for the late response, and sure, I can post some pictures.
I also forgot to mention I took the small cricket out yesterday as well.

To be honest, the more I look at these pictures, the more the pit in my stomach sinks. I don't want to assume the worst for my little guy, but I think I might have to.

The first two pictures are before and after enclosure changing. They had it on some weird foam bottom.

Attachments

• 20160814_083747.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 29
  • 20160815_175447.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 20160815_175505.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
  • Snapchat-738655134084402848.jpg
    Snapchat-738655134084402848.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 38

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Look, is it moving at all? First thing is get it into something with good ventilation , cross ventilation! Stuffy is the worst thing for these babies! A deli cup poked with a good size needle about four rows round the top another four or so about half way down, and a row just above the substrate. No lights shining in there and NO heat mats etc. give it an inch of substrate a piece of cork bark and a dish FULL of water!
Hate to say it but this baby looks bad. Those damn huts are horrible!
I'm not a pro so I'll scream for more help.

Advice here guys please!!! @Thistles @Casey K. @Enn49 @kormath @Nicolas C

Last edited:

SpootyBooty

3 Year Member
I know, I was gonna move it into something better, but I disn't want to bother it in case it's gonna molt :/
And I kind of figured it was bad. I was gonna make an ICU for it and hope for the best while I set up a new little house for it

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
:( icu would just be more stuffy air for it. If you touch it gently does it move? Honestly looks like a death curl to me. And I hate being the one to say so.
They usually flip to their backs to molt.

Look if it moves at all very delicately put it on its back and using a blunted toothpick or something else tiny try to give it a drop of water. I doubt it had any in Petco's infamous huts.

SpootyBooty

3 Year Member
Yeah...it does. I guess I was trying to comince myself otherwise. And no, it doesn't move. I guess it's time I called it quits and this little guy, huh?

SpootyBooty

3 Year Member
It's okay. I thought I could save this guy from the damage theyve done, but I was too late.

I've learned a lesson in this, and next time I'll be getting a T from a good breeder that I know has good animals, and I trust him

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good deal. They are both fascinating and rewarding to own! Hang around and get to know everyone. I'm so sorry this happened but we can point you to good places to buy and help with set ups for you.
Again. I am so so sorry <3

SpootyBooty

3 Year Member
Thank you <3
It's quite alright, the animal lover in me had the right intentions, but I did it wrong. I won't let this incident bring me down; they are really cool. I always had a soft spot for pink toes lol

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Me too, I rescued a sub adult from a local pet shop, spent all night with her on her back in my hand. So I totally understand. ^.~

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Brachypelma smithi?
How large is it? Sling, juvenile maybe adult?Post some pictures and do you name yours, I name all of mine :)

Dang that's almost an interrogation :/
sorry bout that but I get excited for everyone :p

SpootyBooty

3 Year Member
It's a sling, it was the last one he had.
And I'll send some pictures soon! I wanna let it adjust a little bit before I go and bother it haha.

I name all my animals, it's okay lol. Right now it's hiding under a little leaf I put in with it, just to make it a little more cozy.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looking forward to the pictures. Make sure you remember the water dish. :p
Grats on your new baby.

SpootyBooty

3 Year Member
I put a water dish in there, hopefully it's not too big.

It's light brown and very tiny. I saw its little fangs pressed up against the deli cup when I was bringing it home, and it was so cute. They were so tinyyyy

Latest posts