• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A quick question about my Avicularia Avicularia spiderling

SpootyBooty

3 Year Member
Hello there.

I'm new to the hobby, and recently got my first tarantula which is just a Guyana Pink Toe. And it's a spiderling. I did a ton of research before getting a tarantula, decided if I wanted terrestrial or arboreal and I saw this cute little baby at Petco and got it (probably shouldn't haven gotten it there, but I was being cheap and I thought they were super cute).

So I get it home, take the cricket that was in there cause it was WAY too big, and replaced it with a little tiny one and put a little bottle cap full of moist peat moss in case it was thirsty and to give it some humidity. After this was done, I left it alone and it crawled on top of the moss, and just kind of sat there and curled up a bit. The next day I went to an exotics shops, bought some cork bark to put in there so it could climb up and such and saw it had scrunched its legs up. I work at a pet shop myself, and we've sold Tarantulas in the past and have seen when they're getting ready to molt, so I assumed this was happening.

After getting the cork bark, I very carefully lifted the bottle cap out of the container, put it in another container just in case and set up its new enclosure, and gently put it back inside. Right now it's sitting in an empty bottle cap cause I accidentally knocked it out (go me), and panicked and very gently scooped it back into the cap and put the moss next to it. I called the store I had gotten the cork at, they said its probably just molting it'll be fine, and as long as its rump isn't shriveled up or looks dented, it's still alive and just molting. I also took it in cause I couldn't see the rump very well cause it was kind of in an awkward position; they said give it until the end of the week and if nothing happens, then I can get a refund for it or do an exchange.

It's been a day now, it's still curled up in the bottle cap and hasn't flipped over on its back or anything, I've read it usually takes minutes for a sling to molt. I haven't done anything to it, just go in and check on it, and it's still scrunched up. Should I continue to leave it alone or assume the worst..?
If it helps, I can get a picture of it right now in its current state.