• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A little worried...

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
So I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. My L. Parahybana has been fasting for about a month now. She recently molted and ate a few times after but then just stopped. I did rehouse her and used a new substrate. The brand is called reptisoil which is a mixture of peat moss, Soil, sand, and carbon. I mixed it with eco earth cocofiber. Could this be causing her issues? Have any of you had an L. Parahybana fast for winter maybe? Her abdomen seems fine as in nothe shriveled or misshapen. She is not lethargic at all but is definitely very skittish which is odd for her and is not digging out her hide like she usually does.

Should I be worried? Should I put her through the stress of rehousing again so soon to use just straight cocofiber like I had before? What would you guys suggest?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The fact that she ate after her moult suggests to me that it could be the substrate or it could be just taking her a while to settle after rehousing. I'd give her another week or 2 and if she's still not eating put her back on coco fibre.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He may just hate the enclosure setup.

My A. seemanni was rehoused and spent all his time in the hide in a stress pose, anytime a roach would come near he'd kick hair. After a few weeks of that i put him in a different enclosure and within a few hours he had burrowed to the bottom and ate a roach.

I used the same hide, as close to the same mix of substrate and moisture content as possible to what he had when i rehoused him the first time. Just something about that enclosure he wasn't happy with.

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
Alright well I will wait another week try to feed her again in a few days if she still refuses to eat I'll rehouse again and try a bit of a different set up. I will update when I do and let you all know what happens. Thanks for all the encouraging words! I appreciate it greatly!

Annabellam

3 Year Member
You are most welcome. Also check the abdomen. If it's full and rounded it probably means there is nothing wrong with it and it could just be that it needs a different housing set up. Wishing you well with your T.

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
Been a little while but after I picked up some more eco earth cocofiber and rehoused Olive she took a few days to settle but yesterday she ate!!! Tried a big meal worm and she seemed to have a feeding response by coming out to her den entrance, she has not dug it out yet so I wasn't sure if she was ok or not but the way she seemed to want to take the meal worm...though it was like she just didn't know what to think of it. After a little while I took the worm out and tried a nice medium sized roach. That skittered into her hide and she decided she didn't like that. So I removed the roach, let her settle again and tossed a large cricket in and she pounced instantly. Then this morning she ate two more. Thank goodness I have been worried about her for quite some time now. Note to self do not use reptisoil... officially a bad experience for me.

Thanks again you guys for the support and advice!!

20170221_135945.jpg
20170221_140128.jpg

Here she is munching away at that first cricket. It's amazing how attached you get to these little fuzzy critters. I was legitimately stressing over it.

Latest posts