• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A gigas African Giant Milipede

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just got six, adult and juvenile, WC, imported from Mozambique. Yes they are legal and all papers are in order. Currently the only restrictions on the species is import/export out of Africa and into the U.S.
I am setting up a breeding colony.
That's great, congratulations on the new adds. Will you be posting pics? :D

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
20151217_193349.jpg
SWEET!!!!!!! I am now beyond stoked! I have confirmed my six A gigas are two males and for females (absolute perfect combination); and the two males have both already paired up with a female each.
20151217_193925.jpg

Bow chica wow wowwww
20151217_193650.jpg

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, this is the part where I begin a rage filled fiery tantrum, filled with a string of expletives!!!!
I officialy hate "vacations", or long stays away from home!
Came home today, after a week away, to find the tropical T room at 50°F.
Why? Because, two days after we left a blizzard hit the entire eastern half of the sate, with a major cell right over us. All roads were closed. So, even if I tried to make 4 hour drive home, I would not have got there.
At some point during the week there was a brief power outage, no big deal really, except the heater in the room did not reset, thus did not turn on. Fortunately the Ts were alright (Precious is in this room). My millipedes, however, are not!
I reset the heat, added hot water to the drainage layer under the substrate, and covered the tank. 5 of the pedes became active after a short time. The largest female is moving, but still very slowly. The smallest, and youngest, is still curled and only moves legs occasionally; I am worried about this one.
Only time will tell if I caught them with enough time to reverse their condition.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh damn Schoolman, so sorry, keep us posted, hoping hard that she ends up active and fine.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lost 3, and got them replaced. Lost a fourth the day the replacements came in. So I am at 5.
They are all doing well now.
Glad to hear it. if and when they breed i would be interested in some if u r selling. just throwing that out there. :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have to admit...they fascinate me...but they kind of creep me out, maybe I'll look into a cheaper one and see if I can develop an affection for them :/

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Oh cool! These guys are really rare in the US hobby, I hope yours breed for you and you can spread them around, hopefully to people who plan on breeding them as well! :D

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
if i get some ill be trying to breed them. I had a question though about their living arrangements....are mites and inevitability with these guys?

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
if i get some ill be trying to breed them. I had a question though about their living arrangements....are mites and inevitability with these guys?

They shouldn't be, so long as you are careful when feeding supplement food, (dog food, fruits, veggies), and remove all leftovers. A good cleanup crew can be helpful in the prevention of mites.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is a species of mite that is symbiotic with this species of milipede. It lives on the pede and appears to clean between the legs and in all the cracks and crevices. So far these mites do not seem to thrive away from the pede, and pose no risk to other arthropods.
I have yet to see any of the small predatory mites in my enclosure, though it is still very new.