• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A few questions about breeding.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hope to pair up some of my 8 legged beasties eventually but assume this is a couple of years away yet although I want as much knowledge as possible before. My main concern is tarantula safety.
1. Is it best to keep females I plan to breed from in one of the containers with a partition in?
I'm thinking it would be easier to separate them if things get nasty if I can quickly divide the enclosure.
2. If a male is drumming and the female doesn't respond does that mean she is not up for it and going to attack
Him?
3. What are the best books and websites to get info from?

I am hoping to get an experienced friend who has bred ts before to assist but want to learn as much as possible now. Any advice welcome.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Best way to do it imo, is to have the female in a large enclosure, and introduce the male. that way the male has room to escape. If your hoping t save the male, the best method is to have a paintbrush or piece of cardboard handy to separate them. Be warned though, sometimes pairings take hours, and some times the female just gets the male. It's not a bad thing, just nature. Better the male gets munched than die of age..

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Also, before you breed anything, you want to make sure that there is a market for whatever your breeding. even if you just give them away 200+ slings in the case of Rosies, or up too 1000 slings in the case of red knees is a lot of Ts.
There are quite a few Ts I just won't pair just for that reason. (my Parahybana is never getting any loving)

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes that has always bothered me about what to do with all the babies. There are lots of shops near me but I wouldn't give babies to some of them! I know loosing the male is a chance you take when breeding but I want to try and get my boys back in one piece. Some of them may end up with two different females. Its a long way off but I want to start learning as much as possible now.
Thanks for the advice Kenny mucho gracias.

DTG

3 Year Member
It has now been a year since the last response to this thread. Harlyqueen, did you ever breed and how did it go? Marita:)

Latest posts