• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A dedicated shelf for local spiders

spider4747

3 Year Member
I've been thinking about (aside from some snake purchase and pink toe endeavors) that I could take some garden spiders and provide them with suitable jar homes. I'm sure they would take to pinhead crickets (or any bug I find for them really). Has anyone ever done that? Theres a lot of colorful garden and crab spiders around, but why stop there right? *buys black widow female*

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've been thinking about (aside from some snake purchase and pink toe endeavors) that I could take some garden spiders and provide them with suitable jar homes. I'm sure they would take to pinhead crickets (or any bug I find for them really). Has anyone ever done that? Theres a lot of colorful garden and crab spiders around, but why stop there right? *buys black widow female*
Sorry spider4747, I missed this post. As swimbait said, many of us collect all kinds of spiders, not just T's. So I say "Go for it!". They can add quite a bit of variety in color, size and behavior to anyone's collection. Care is very similar to tarantulas dependent on the species. Since there are over 35,000 named species in the world, you may need a BIG shelf o_O

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah. But some folks don't seem to mind, and there are a lot of interesting bugs that are short lived. I think I want to try some true spiders, mantids, the longer lived centipede, maybe even a few Jerusalem Crickets:) Which are not crickets, nor are they found in Jerusalem..see? Interesting:) And as someone posted here recently, it just means you get to order more of them next year..and they're cheaper than Ts :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well thats true, Breaks my heart every year when I know the Argiope aurantia are going to die off, got a yard full of them and I love them,
they were what got me interested in spiders as a child :D

Latest posts