• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1st breeding attempt

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm curious as to how many times you attempted? Normally if a a male has already been introduced to a female once (given that the insertion was a success) the female will often be very hostile towards him the second time around and may attempt to attack him. My first breeding attempt was with a P.regalis. The first time they did their little dance and the female was very receptive to his drumming. The actual courtship occurred on the outside of the door to the tank. Since I didn't actually see the insertion happen, I wasn't sure what had happened, so I figured I'd reintroduced him a few times. She reacted very hostile towards him, lunging at him anytime he got near, and chased him out of the enclosure. At that point I stopped trying. A few months later, I noticed a ton of webbing in there, and sure enough, she was clinging onto an egg sac.
This makes four times. She's showed nothing but hostility every time, so I'm thinking she's too close to a molt. She won't drum, and she slaps him every time he tries to get started, and sends him running. I'm positive he hasn't gotten an insertion, she only let him get close the third time, and that was very brief before slapping him away. Not receptive in the least.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
This makes four times. She's showed nothing but hostility every time, so I'm thinking she's too close to a molt. She won't drum, and she slaps him every time he tries to get started, and sends him running. I'm positive he hasn't gotten an insertion, she only let him get close the third time, and that was very brief before slapping him away. Not receptive in the least.
Have you tried again is she still excepting food

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Have you tried again is she still excepting food
I tried one more time after that, same result. He knew not to even try it that time, as well. She looks to be in heavy premolt now as well, I guess all the food has sped it up, which is good. She still eats, but not like she was, so fingers crossed that she hurries up and molts...I'll get this done, eventually. I hope..

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
I tried one more time after that, same result. He knew not to even try it that time, as well. She looks to be in heavy premolt now as well, I guess all the food has sped it up, which is good. She still eats, but not like she was, so fingers crossed that she hurries up and molts...I'll get this done, eventually. I hope..
That would be a bonus if she moults soon do you know when the males ultimate moult was if she moults very soon say a couple of weeks or so she'll need 7 10 days to harden then obviously feed her a big meal and try again hopefully your male continues to eat and can stay healthy till then

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That would be a bonus if she moults soon do you know when the males ultimate moult was if she moults very soon say a couple of weeks or so she'll need 7 10 days to harden then obviously feed her a big meal and try again hopefully your male continues to eat and can stay healthy till then
Yeah, he was freshly molted about two months before I got him, so he'll be good to go if she hurries up and molts..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Of course you don't want to be sweltering at night are you in uk or the states im in uk so nights get cold in winter but I just have heating on in my T room
I'm in south Texas :) I just alternate my a/c and my heat to keep it steady at 75 in here. It's tolerable, and should be fine for all the spiders. I do turn up the heat to 78 or 80 when I'm at work or not in the room for awhile, just to give them a little extra warmth if they crave it.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
I'm in south Texas :) I just alternate my a/c and my heat to keep it steady at 75 in here. It's tolerable, and should be fine for all the spiders. I do turn up the heat to 78 or 80 when I'm at work or not in the room for awhile, just to give them a little extra warmth if they crave it.

How did your breeding go in the end mine was unsuccessful tryed a few times she wasn't interested I think she's coming up to another moult as she's refused food twice now and I've still got my male his still eating so might try again after she moults nearly lost him last time I put them together there was blood coming from about 3 of his legs and my female got nipped on the leg I managed to separate them and there both ok

Latest posts