• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1st breeding attempt

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
So I got lucky and found a mature male Lasiodora Parahybana in a pet shop it was for sale for £80 so I made it clear im not paying that money for a mature male so got it for 20 in the end I let him settle thought I'd try and feed him he took a cricket down which I was pleased about and fed the female a big meal. I paired them early this morning and the female actually responded 1st by tapping her legs she showed no aggression towards the male I witnessed 1 insertion before the male topped the female on her back them they split and both went there separate ways. So not sure if 1 insertion is good enough I will try again tonight
20150902_083307.jpg
20150902_083307.jpg

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
I'm fixing to try this myself. Any updates man?
Hi yes I've paired them again probably another 4 times and had 1 other successful insert the other times the female either charged him or for some reason all was going well on some attempts until the male decided to try and go to the side of her she didn't like that and went for him I tried my best to separate them luckily for me it's a big male and he escaped easily but I think I'm happy with the 2 successful mates so I suppose it's just a waiting game now see if she drops a sac

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi yes I've paired them again probably another 4 times and had 1 other successful insert the other times the female either charged him or for some reason all was going well on some attempts until the male decided to try and go to the side of her she didn't like that and went for him I tried my best to separate them luckily for me it's a big male and he escaped easily but I think I'm happy with the 2 successful mates so I suppose it's just a waiting game now see if she drops a sac
That's great, good luck!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thankyou be sure to post your breeding attempt up also would be interesting to see how other hobbiests do
Will do. I'm already power feeding my female...she doesn't stop eating...she's had 4 adult dubias in 2 days, after being fed last week :) Going to feed her again in awhile. The male should be here Thursday, I'll post some pics and updates.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, terror_corpz, I was going to use my thread I had created but since you invited me I'll just share yours, call it the first time breeders of Lps thread :D
So I just got the MM from Livingenzyme, he's a big fluffy long legged beauty. Here's some pics..the male in his new house and my female (Princess FluffyButt) munching on yet another dubia...I wont feel comfortable until she stops eating...she shows no signs of stopping...I'm going to give the male (Ron Jeremy) a few days in his house, right next to her, feed him, let him get comfortable and maybe catch her "scent". We shall see what develops..stay tuned.
New spidey 007.jpg
New spidey 004.jpg

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Female just accepted another roach. Getting impatient...she has to stop soon though, she's obese now...and she took the male dubia rather reluctantly tonight :) The male has refused ever since he arrived. He knows she's there though, I think. I took his top off and he crawled onto her enclosure and just sat there. He's very handle-able, I found out. I'm going to do everything in my power to keep him healthy and not murdered. He's growing on me.. Either way he needs to survive the first attempt, in case she molts out of the sac, or something goes wrong. Will update tomorrow.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Female just accepted another roach. Getting impatient...she has to stop soon though, she's obese now...and she took the male dubia rather reluctantly tonight :) The male has refused ever since he arrived. He knows she's there though, I think. I took his top off and he crawled onto her enclosure and just sat there. He's very handle-able, I found out. I'm going to do everything in my power to keep him healthy and not murdered. He's growing on me.. Either way he needs to survive the first attempt, in case she molts out of the sac, or something goes wrong. Will update tomorrow.
Good luck hope all goes well my female is eating and webbing everywhere at the moment hopefully it's a sign she's pregnant she only moulted 2 months ago so it's definitely not that keep us posted

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Ok, terror_corpz, I was going to use my thread I had created but since you invited me I'll just share yours, call it the first time breeders of Lps thread :D
So I just got the MM from Livingenzyme, he's a big fluffy long legged beauty. Here's some pics..the male in his new house and my female (Princess FluffyButt) munching on yet another dubia...I wont feel comfortable until she stops eating...she shows no signs of stopping...I'm going to give the male (Ron Jeremy) a few days in his house, right next to her, feed him, let him get comfortable and maybe catch her "scent". We shall see what develops..stay tuned. View attachment 11414 View attachment 11415
SHES a big girl

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
I used the misses big wooden spoon incase things got nasty but like I said in my other post my male was considerably big and was able to get away every time. But my 2 made it easy for me the female when interested was drumming away and when not interested went in hunt mode and just charged him. Again can't wait for an update

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I used the misses big wooden spoon incase things got nasty but like I said in my other post my male was considerably big and was able to get away every time. But my 2 made it easy for me the female when interested was drumming away and when not interested went in hunt mode and just charged him. Again can't wait for an update
Yeah I noticed your male was very large. That definitely helps :) I'm just going to point my shotgun at her...lmao

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lp breeding 020.jpg
Ok, well, my first breeding attempt
lp breeding 020.jpg
of L parahybana didn't go well. First, when I took my female's plant out she gave me a threat posture, which is rare for her, then I took out her water dish and she actually slapped my hand. So she was in a foul mood to begin with.
I introduced the male to the opposite end of the enclosure, and after about three minutes he started tapping furiously. They were both facing away from each other, as shown in the pic. After 10 minutes of tapping he turned around and slowly approached her. No pics after that because I had to be ready. She never tapped once. She spun and slapped the ground, a hard thump that startled him. He backed up to the wall, then approached slowly again. She moved forward and slapped the ground hard again, 2 or three times, scaring the crap out of him and sending him up the wall and onto my hand. I put him back in his house, and of course he immediately started roaming and wanting out of his enclosure again. Maybe if I had removed the plant and dish yesterday my female would have been more receptive..I may have screwed it up. She's just sitting there looking smug. While she wasn't receptive at all, she at least didn't attempt to kill him. I'll offer food to both tonight, and I'll try again tomorrow. :(

timc

3 Year Member
View attachment 11476 Ok, well, my first breeding attemptView attachment 11476 of L parahybana didn't go well. First, when I took my female's plant out she gave me a threat posture, which is rare for her, then I took out her water dish and she actually slapped my hand. So she was in a foul mood to begin with.
I introduced the male to the opposite end of the enclosure, and after about three minutes he started tapping furiously. They were both facing away from each other, as shown in the pic. After 10 minutes of tapping he turned around and slowly approached her. No pics after that because I had to be ready. She never tapped once. She spun and slapped the ground, a hard thump that startled him. He backed up to the wall, then approached slowly again. She moved forward and slapped the ground hard again, 2 or three times, scaring the crap out of him and sending him up the wall and onto my hand. I put him back in his house, and of course he immediately started roaming and wanting out of his enclosure again. Maybe if I had removed the plant and dish yesterday my female would have been more receptive..I may have screwed it up. She's just sitting there looking smug. While she wasn't receptive at all, she at least didn't attempt to kill him. I'll offer food to both tonight, and I'll try again tomorrow. :(
Better luck tomorrow! I've never tried breeding and I know it's not an easy thing to do but at some point instincts will take over so get Barry white ready on your iPod or however you play music (I have a record player myself so sorry if my reference is dated)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Better luck tomorrow! I've never tried breeding and I know it's not an easy thing to do but at some point instincts will take over so get Barry white ready on your iPod or however you play music (I have a record player myself so sorry if my reference is dated)
You still have a record player? Lol, I've got a working VCR, but man that must be a good record player :p Thanks for the kind words, I was a little disappointed at my first try...My girl picked tonight of all nights to go into pissy mode..maybe ol Barry WOULD help tomorrow...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, update.:mad: The same exact thing tonight. She slapped him several times when he tried to get started, he was actually moving in kind of steady this time, no tapping, like he was saying, "lets get this done!" and they were almost in a position where he could take control.. and she sent him up the wall again. I'll try again tomorrow. :mad: Her new name is Slappy. I'm getting the idea that he is going to have to be aggressive if this is going to happen....he was almost there, the legs where entwined like I see in all the videos, and she started slapping. I noticed his leg length makes up for his smaller size...if she'll just let him get started he can take control. I'm not waiting for tomorrow, we'll try again in a few hours. I'm not going to leave him in with her though, I just can't do it.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The female.Ideally the female should also have recently moulted and offered as much food as she will take in the first few weeks. Once the female passes the six month mark in the twelve month moult cycle, most mating attempts usually fail. This is due to long time scale a tarantula needs to go through the egg production process. Female tarantulas simply reach the point of the annual moult before they are ready to lay eggs. At this point the sperm is lost (the lining of the spermathecae is shed along with the skin) and she becomes virginal again (see section on sex determination). On occasion, however, pairings after this time sometimes are successful so an attempt should be made.
(I forget where I got this, it's been saved on my computer for some time)

I found my old calendar that I thought was thrown away. My female molted almost 7 months ago. I had thought there was time...This is why people keep detailed records :( I believe this breeding may be doomed, for now. She shows no sign of letting it happen ( I just tried again with the same result) The male is freshly molted from 2 months ago, I believe. He's very healthy, and I've noticed they sometimes live much longer than the standard "1 year" response from many hobbyists. My mm porteri was almost 2 years past his last molt when I successfully bred him with my female. She ate him, so I don't know how long he would have lasted, but he was good to go at almost 2 years, and looked fine. I think the mm Lp will make it to her next molt easily, and I've decided not to risk him until that time. This is the best decision, I believe, despite how badly I want to breed these two right now. :( So. yeah.:(

Last edited:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm curious as to how many times you attempted? Normally if a a male has already been introduced to a female once (given that the insertion was a success) the female will often be very hostile towards him the second time around and may attempt to attack him. My first breeding attempt was with a P.regalis. The first time they did their little dance and the female was very receptive to his drumming. The actual courtship occurred on the outside of the door to the tank. Since I didn't actually see the insertion happen, I wasn't sure what had happened, so I figured I'd reintroduced him a few times. She reacted very hostile towards him, lunging at him anytime he got near, and chased him out of the enclosure. At that point I stopped trying. A few months later, I noticed a ton of webbing in there, and sure enough, she was clinging onto an egg sac.

Latest posts